“Best BBQ I have ever had - plus, a couple considerations for first timers”

Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que
Ranked #1 of 294 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm a big fan of Pappy's and Bogart's in St. Louis, which are also very well known, but I have to say Joe's was the best I have ever had.

We arrived at 10:40 AM (they open at 11) on a Thursday and were 2nd in line. They get people through amazingly fast. Even if it took an hour, I would wait for this food.

One thing to consider if you've never been before: my daughter and wife thought the ribs were a little heavy handed on the seasoning, a bit too salty. For me, it was perfect. So, if you're not a fan of salt/seasonings, perhaps skip the ribs and try something else such as the brisket or turkey.

1  Thank EngelkingCGMN
Write a ReviewReviews (2,593)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my third BBQ place during my KC stay and by far my favourite. The ribs had good flavour, both from the smoke and the savoury rubs. The sauce adds a nice kick. Fortunate that they had burnt ends and they were cubed small but tasted and felt like Burnt Ends. The Gas Station experience is great but be aware of long lineups at times.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After a weekend trip to KC and taking a tour of various rib joints around the city and sampling, nothing beat our first night out at Joe's.....sorry to the rest of the places! Let me say this, KC taking this BBQ thing really serious and their is a clear divide and Joe's appears to be in the middle (it's a history lesson I won't get into). The point is if you want the best ribs in the area you need to go here! The wait can be long but you need to do this. I personally don't want to heap on sauce on every bite to make my ribs good. Joe's ribs were cooked to perfection and I never did put anything additional on mine as the meat was that good! Also, seating is pretty limited, but you will get a seat. They seem to have this down to a science. Tables seem to empty out as the new customers get their food. Be patient and you taste buds will thank you for doing so!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came into Kansas City for a conference and all I heard was talk about how I had to go to Joe's BBQ! Thankfully it was only about 7mins away from the hotel and was able to get there by an Uber affordably. Everything about the experience of Joe's was great. When we got to the restaurant and saw it was in a gas station I had no worries because the line looped all around the inside and was still flowing out the door and down the sidewalk a good ways. Don't let the line scare you, they move incredibly fast. I realized once you get up to order, your food is finished and handed to you by the time you pay making it quick and easy. I also saw where they had a call ahead order section and Togo section if you are in a big hurry.

Now for the food... the menu is typical BBQ menu with a wide selection of chicken, pork, brisket, turkey, salads, sides, desserts, and more. They also had local beer on tap inside the gas station. I opted to grab an item off the kids menu the turkey BBQ sandwich since I wasn't super hungry and it came with fries and a drink for around $7 a lot cheaper than the $14 or so that I would've had to spend on another meal. Their fries are some of the best I've ever had. I also thoroughly enjoyed the hot BBQ sauce and saw where you can buy it or have it shipped to your house which I definitely may consider. The service was super friendly and incredibly fast. Joe's knows what they're doing and it's evident when you see how efficiently they run, all the recognitions they have on the way, and how the manager comes out and interacts with everyone making sure they feel welcome.

If I'm ever back in the area I will definitely be returning and bringing others with me. I also will always recommend it to everyone and anyone I know who will be visiting the area. If you're looking for quality food make a stop at Joe's!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First I have to say that BBQ is my favorite food. We waited about 45 minutes in line to get in. Everything worked very well once we did. We got a table when our food was ready. The BBQ ribs were very good. It was worth the wait. Highly recommended.