“Had to eat fast!”
Review of Grille 39

Grille 39
Reserve with OpenTable
Grille 39 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 295 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pennsylvania & Meridian
Description: A recipient of Marriott International's Food & Beverage Excellence Award, Chef Phil Kromer brings local cuisine to life with his own interpretations of American favorites.
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

I was staying by myself at the Renaissance Hotel north of Indianapolis, and went to this restaurant for convenience.

They had a wonderful menu, including some local fair, and pretty much would have eaten anything on the menu. I thought the decor was very nice as well.

I had crab corn chowder for an appetizer. It came out very hot, and very quickly. The texture/consistency didn’t look that great, but boy it was yummy. It just did not have a smooth appearance but was delicious. They put a generous portion of lump crabmeat in the center of the bowl of soup which I thought was a nice touch, so you can see what you are getting.

I had a chopped salad that was prepared in little quadrants. A very pretty preparation, the cucumbers, cabbage, etc. all separated on the plate. Chunky blue cheese dressing was also rich and delicious.

For dinner I had shrimp with bacon risotto. The shrimp was supposed to be spicy but really wasn’t. The risotto was, and nicely so. Shrimp were large and generous, I think six of them. More than you get at many restaurants. The risotto was also delicious. Had fried onions mixed in. Delicious.

The only reason I didn’t give a five rating, was that the food came out faster than I could eat it, so I felt a rushed.

I suppose when one writes a review one would complain more about food taking a long time to come out. At this place, the food came out faster than I would have liked. Almost felt like my nice waitress was trying to move dinner along far too quickly, and I never told her I was in a hurry!

I was never even offered dessert, so don’t know if they have any dessert on the menu. Instead I just got the bill! (Would have been too full to eat more though!)

As for price, usually hotel restaurants are very very expensive. This place was not cheap, but for the quality I thought was a very nice meal at a very decent price.

Definitely would come back if I stayed here. Would love to try a bunch of other dinner items.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful but I made a huge mistake going to the breakfast buffet. Not only they are overprice, the food has no taste to it and they should not charge the price that they charge for the buffet because there is no food there to call it a buffet. The food quality is really poor and I tried to eat a bagel there, it was so hard to chew it feels like they had the bagel there for a week. It is not worth it to eat the breakfast buffet at all.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Restaurant is clean and has a nice atmosphere.

I ate here 2 times. Once for the breakfast buffet and once for dinner.

Breakfast was just ok. There was a nice selection but is had been sitting there a LONG time and was just meh.

Dinner was better. I had a ribeye and it was very good. The sides of brocolini and truffle fries were a hindrance to the dish.

Both times I ate there my server was excellent.

If you are staying here and want to eat but not go out, you’ll be satisfied. If you have energy and can go out, Indianapolis has better steak places to eat at than here.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Had dinner here with out of town friends that were staying at this hotel. We had never eaten here even though we have lived in the are for years. The food was very good, service was only a little above average for this type of restaurant. Prices are also above average. With all that said I would return here to meet friends again.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 3 December 2017

We were a party of 4 (my husband and I and another couple) and are local area residents. We were so glad we chose Grille 39 to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. There was a wide choice of foods (kudos to the chef!) served at various stations in the hotel's inviting and attractive restaurant. The staff was very friendly and accommodating -- in particular, we had exceptional service from our waiter, Lawrence, who was especially attentive to our needs. In short, we had a wonderful experience and definitely plan to attend next year!

Date of visit: November 2017