“Hitting for the wall”

Price range: US$10 - US$32
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2018

Finch’s has long been a favorite of mine. But when Seth Elgar (lately of NOCO) came in to help refresh the menu they really ratcheted up another notch. I admit I am kind of stuck on the Seafood Puttanesca,
Rabbit Cacciatore and the three duck options. But you need not be so limited once you have tried those.
I have always found the staff to be beyond nice and consistently efficient. Where once it was a favorite upscale lunch option, I am going more often for dinner now. They also have a good wine list and whiskey selection. I have not had difficulty with parking nearby, since Bloomington went to metered parking. But if you are worried, use Uber. It will be worth it.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Fine dining prices without the quality, atmosphere or experience. When I saw the burger was $19 I thought - "Wow NYC prices for a burger in Bloomington? This must be really good." Instead, the burger was overcooked, small and mediocre at best. At these prices paying for bread and extra sauce for the $10 plate of fries is outrageous. It was so loud that conversation was difficult. I would avoid this place. There are far better restaurants in Bloomington.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

My wife chose Finch’s Brasserie for this year’s birthday dinner. I made reservations not realizing that the restaurant has a second floor. When we arrived the hostess told us that it would be just a moment to seat us as our table was on the second floor, and it was immediately obvious that we would not be able to access it as my wife is experiencing mobility limitations following ankle surgery. Not only did the staff make a quick substitution to allow us to eat on the first floor, but they found a spot to stash my wife’s knee walker while we ate and made sure she had it as we prepared to leave. That initial interaction set the stage for an evening of marvelous service. Our server was wonderful—attentive without being intrusive and very knowledgeable about the menu. She made excellent recommendations. We started with the calamari appetizer which includes slices of banana peppers and kalamata olives and is served with a lemon tarragon aioli instead of the ubiquitous marinara—possibly the best in town. We both chose the night’s special—beef enchiladas in red mole—amazing! For dessert our server recommended the Turkish Coffee Creme Brûlée which was the perfect end to a marvelous meal. Be aware that this is not fast food and it’s not pre-packaged entrees, so plan your time accordingly. One additional note—the menu posted on the website and the menu for the evening were, apart from some regular items, very different.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

I usually eat here when visiting Bloomington, Indiana and have been remiss on reviewing this exceptional restaurant. Wonderful ambiance, food, and very personable servers. The final bill can be somewhat pricey but the old adage of you "get what you pay for" is certainly applicable here.
We usually try eating here early in the week and early to avoid crowds and this evening was memorable and delightful. We always begin with the cheese plate appetizer which had four different types of tasty cheeses as well as other delightful extras such as dates, peppers, and various other snack items. It is, hands down, absolutely the best cheese plate I have ever had. I usually order the individual Roman or Funghi pizza which differ by toppings, sauces, and meats. They are wonderful and simply explode in your mouth with taste.
We have had the various dinners and all have been exceptional along with salads and soups.
Our waitress tonight (and before) was Airen who adds this exceptional culinary experience with her personable and helpful service. She is a charm!!
The wine list is superb and extensive. Dinner for two with appetizers and a couple glasses of wine each plus tip was $110.00

france799, Owner at Finch's, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words! We enjoy having the opportunity to offer delicious local food and provide service that is warm and knowledgable. Thank you for recognizing Airen . . . she is a true professional and a pleasure to work with! We look forward to the next time you visit us. Warmly, Candace Finch.

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Cozy and aromatic -- love the wood burning oven. Every dish is tasty and creative. The soups are always amazing and especially love the grilled salmon. And, how many places have both rabbit and lobster roll on the menu?

france799, Owner at Finch's, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Thank you! The wood burning oven is necessary on these cold days of January. I am so happy you enjoyed your lunch and thank you for your kind words.
My best,
Candace Finch

Been to Finch's? Share your experiences!