“Great food!”

Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Walnut St.
Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful time here. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Would highly recommend this place. We love Mediterranean food and the food here is top notch.

Reviewed October 29, 2017

Lots of treats at this Bloomington restaurant on the square. First, a thin slice of marinated eggplant was offered. Then, the bread!! Do not pass on the bread. For a delicious vegetarian dish, try the Samarok Lawang. Just the right combination of spice and a cream sauce to offset the heat. Even the basmati rice is memorable. Only unremarkable thing about our meal was the bland salad and the skimpy beer menu.

Reviewed September 29, 2017

I was at Samira tonight by myself. I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to try the lamb kebab. It was very well seasoned, done to the degree I requested (slightly pink in the middle). My only quibble with it was that the pieces of lamb, once removed from the sword (too big to be called a skewer) were a bit too tough to be cut with a butter knife, and that was the sharpest implement I had. Next time I'll see if I can get a steak knife. The lamb came with "seasoned" basmati rice, which reminded me of biryani rice (with some raisins and shredded carrots sprinkled on top), something that looked like steamed spinach (pretty forgettable, but not bad), and some little round potato disks with a yogurt (?) topping. All in all it was quite good, and the serving was large enough that I'll have another meal from the leftovers.

Some other reviewers commented on service that was not to their liking. I was greeted promptly and the servers were all very cheerful and capable. It took a few minutes longer than I would have liked to get the check, but it was not excessive.

The menu was a bit off the mark in describing the side dishes that come with the entrees. It said that the main dishes are served with naan, grilled eggplant and carrots, but the bread was more like focaccia, there was spinach in place in the eggplant, and the carrot must have been the shredded carrot on top of the basmati rice. Those things were all good, so I didn't mind the substitutions. I did get a couple of thin slices of grilled, marinated eggplant as a sort of amuse bouche, and it was very tasty.

All in all it was an enjoyable dinner. I would definitely return to Samira next time I'm in Bloomington

Reviewed September 27, 2017

After seeing the great reviews I was excited to try this place while I was in town. I liked the environment when I walked in. Unfortunately what it ended up being was mediocre food with unfriendly service. Not one single employee smiled back at me or acknowledged my thank you's. I probably said it 4 or 5 times and they all just kept a straight face & didn't say anything & kept moving. The food wasn't horrible but the only thing I'd say was good was the chicken. I've been to several Indian buffets that were amazing & this was the least impressive by far.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

I went with family for dinner and the restaurant was full, reservations are advisable. Service is impeccable and food amazing. They served to all patrons as welcoming appetizers warm and crunchy focaccia bread and grilled eggplant slices perfectly seasoned. We asked also for meat Sambosa as appetizer that was excellent. I had Samarok Lawang with Lamb that was fantastic. Lamb Kebbab was great as well.