“Unimpressed”

Smokin' Jack's Rib Shack
Ranked #76 of 361 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I've tried the ribs. There's just not enough meat on them !The portions are big, the sides are tasty. the sauces are great and the environment is welcoming too.If they would just buy better meat Id come back.

Reviewed August 17, 2017

I like BBQ and Indiana is one great place to get really good pork. Smokin’ Jack’s had been on my list of places to try for a while, but its location was a little out of the way from the hotels I normally stay on my business trips to Bloomington. It was Monday afternoon and after the normal lunch hour, so business was slow after the rush.

The first thing you notice upon entering is the “Cracker Barrel décor” consisting of various artifacts from the past hundred years of rural America. The interior was a little dark with the wood tables, chairs and booths. If busy, I’m guessing it to be rather noisy.

I made my way the counter to ponder the chalkboard menu and settled on a pulled pork sandwich with green beans. This turned out to be quite enough, as the portion was of very good size. There was a choice of three different BBQ sauces on the table. I tried each and didn’t find any that stood out as being superior to the others. Each was good, just slightly different.

Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

Food was alright but nothing all that impressive. Staff was friendly and attentive. Part that grossed us out a bit was the guy in the grill area with lots of hair but no hair net or hat. All in all it was alright, might be back if we're in the area.

Reviewed July 14, 2017

I'm not a fan of ribs so I can't speak to those. I have only ever had chicken wings from here in Jamaican jerk sauce. If you get those prepare to sweat. They are the tastiest wings I have ever had but that sauce will light you up. You better have at least two large drinks on standby when you eat those. The accommodations are pretty rustic but I think most people always get take-out anyway.

Reviewed May 9, 2017

We wanted somewhere to eat fast and this was it. The food was delicious and generous. You have to order your food at the desk but it comes very quickly. There was a line after 5:00pm. We had a large table that was perfect for our family of six.