See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 5 November 2014

We had a late check in because we were traveling. There was no one at the front desk to greet us and we had to wait forever before someone came around. When we finally got into our room the 1st thing I do is check the bed.... there was HAIR in the bed! I asked for new sheets and there was none available - we switched rooms to find the next set of sheets were covered in cigarette burns - Gross again! After all of this the room we ended up in had mold growing in the bathroom tub but where wasn't anywhere else in town we could stay with out dog. The next morning when checking out the manager said he wasn't his problem and we had our DIRTY animal in the room. Disgusting place and people!

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ber15
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here (at the renamed Sun Inn) for 6+ months between January and July 2014. In general my stay was a good one, providing a quiet room well within my budget. However a ceiling leak at the end of my stay left a poor taste.

Positives: Fast Wi-Fi (when it works); huge selection of Cable TV channels; generally quiet motel in a quiet & safe area; minor problems resolved quickly; desk, fridge & small microwave provided; donuts provided daily along with bagels & coffee

Negatives: Aforementioned ceiling leak which led to wet carpeting & damaged belongings after a particularly bad storm; room dusty and dirty with some areas (such as under the bed) apparently never being cleaned; HVAC unit dirty & not maintained; periodic Wi-Fi outages (once for multiple days); non-smoking rooms on the top floor often have smoke entering; sometimes there is a language barrier in dealing with the front desk

This motel gets a mix of outdoorsmen, traveling workers, and (I gather) patients from the nearby cancer center. It's cheap and, accordingly, mostly unmaintained and dirty. Towels and sheets are pretty beat-up. Housekeeping has a vacuum that does nothing but push dirt around (they have a 2nd vacuum that works better.) The on-site washer & dryer are out of service, as is the 2nd floor ice machine. However if you are willing to look past these issues, a stay here can be a serviceable experience. A couple of minor issues requiring a plumber & electrician were dealt with fairly quickly. The staff can be friendly, depending on the day. Just beware: if you do check-in, look for cracks in the ceiling, which may lead to water when a wild storm moves through.

Room tip: 2nd floor "non-smoking" rooms have smoke issues Two rooms on 2nd floor have leaky ceilings -- look for cracks
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank etniok
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Apparently there was a misunderstanding as to the date of our reservation. I wondered about weather or not he got the numerical date right, as we repeated it back and forth several times, but we also repeated the day of the week back and forth so I thought all was well. He had quoted me a price of $50 for the room. When we got there, I was told that the reservation was for the wrong day and that they would try to get us a room ready. He charged me $65, apparently for the inconvenience to him. He said it would take about 10 min. We checked every 10 min. but they kept saying it would be about 5 more minutes. After about 40 minutes, when we asked yet again, they told us the room was ready. Although we were right around the lobby, and checking regularly, no one bothered to tell us.
During our wait, my daughter and her husband arrived with no previous arrangements. I told them they may not be able to get in there since they seemed to be struggling to get a room ready for us. They checked anyway, and got a room immediately for $50. They were settled in before us arriving 45 minutes after us, with no reservation, and at a cheaper rate.
When we finally got into the room, it was okay, although we had a roll-away instead of the double queen we had wanted. The big problem was the air-conditioner didn't work. It was on when we left for dinner, but when we came back, it had been unplugged and there was black soot around the outlet. I was afraid to plug it back in.
The room was fine (apart from the lack of air conditioning) but the trouble getting it was more than it was worth. We've stayed here years ago with no problems, but we won't be back even though it is just 1/2 a block from my brother-in-law.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had nothing but a difficult time communicating with the hotel management. They almost mischarged me for 3 nights when I said I'd be there 2 nights and 3 days, and when a friend of mine showed up who I had paid for in advance, the management told my friend they had nothing on reservation for him. I had to talk to the manager's manager just to get a refund on a room I didn't use. This place is a hassle. It's also dirty. There was a bunch of skin floating around in the jacuzzi even after emptying and refiling. Another person I was with said they found an emptied out bag of cheetos under their bed. What is wrong with this place? It's called the Sun Inn now, and it's horrible. Don't stay here.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This hotel is $40 per night for a single king room. Basic cable and basic tv, room was clean, WiFi worked great, Staff was very nice, and breakfast is not fancy but all was fresh. Limited Smoking rooms are availible. Hotel is a sportsmans paradise the Outdoorsman is next door, bait, tackle, shooting range and a very professional staff. North Point marina is one of the best fishing starting points on Lake Michigan. Winthrop Harbor is served by Metra's UPN line regular service to Chicago over the old C&NW tracks. North point and Metra are about a mile from the hotel. Check out the local eateries close by the hotel!
The only issue I had was the hotel vending and ice machines. They were all un-stocked and out of order. It was not a real issue since close by are quick-marts. Hotel is a bargin at $40 per nite I spent $10 elsewhere when they could have made the sale?

Date of stay: March 2013