All reviewsoutdoor activitieshigh endan adventurefellow guestssea lionsremote locationgo aheadworth the tripamazing breakfastblack beansworth every pennycoho salmonmagical placeknowledgeable guideshorseback ridingoutdoor showerflores island
Reviewed 4 September 2015

Without question, this was the most incredible travel experience of our lives. While it was probably also the most expensive, it was undoubtedly the best value for money. As soon as we arrived, we regretted the fact that we were only staying three nights. Everything about Clayoquot is breathtaking. From the scenery and wildlife, to the rooms and facilities. The dining experience is absolutely 5-star, as are the staff and the tours offered. Every experience here exceeded our high expectations, in particular the wildlife viewing and the dining. We want to thank John and Gary in particular, who made our honeymoon absolutely unforgettable after giving us a complimentary helicopter ride and hike, our own private tours on everything we did, and plenty of hand-selected champagne and wine. It was such an incredible experience and we cannot wait to come back.

3  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 4 September 2015

We travelled to Clayoquot, as a family, at the end of an awesome trip through Alberta and BC. I was slightly nervous that CWR couldn't live up to my hope of topping off such a great holiday.

Every minute there was a joy for all of us (helped by meeting some truly lovely guests and the great atmosphere created by all members of staff). A few of the reasons we loved it (in no particular order): scenery stunning; the beds could not have been more comfortable; the yoga was blissful (although sadly we couldn't do it every morning or we would have missed some trips) and massages perfect; the food was exquisite - I'm hungry at the memory; guides fascinating, fun and knowledgeable; water falls refreshing; horses understanding; wildlife plentiful (can't list it all) ..... It wasn't a high octane activity stay ... it felt like the perfect family gathering with all the relaxed fun you could possibly want. Of all the family holidays we have been lucky enough to go on, this one will be remembered with the best, possibly as the best, for a very long time. Can't thank you (and the birthday cake providers) enough.

Room Tip: Go for a waterside room with ensuite, if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
3  Thank novicereviewer
Reviewed 24 August 2015

We just came back from a week at Clayoquot. We loved absolutely every minute of
this exceptional vacation:
- Activities: from wild life watching to mountain biking, horse riding, deep-sea fishing, hiking to the suspended bridge or the gold mine, climbing, zip-lining, water-skiing, kayaking or simply enjoying the view in the hot tub, there are plenty to chose from. Activities are usually carried out individually (we only shared a boat with another family once) and with one to two guides dedicated to your family. The latters are very motivated and very happy to share these unique experiences with you. They also teach you about the First Nation Community and the sustainability program Clayoquot supports. Thanks in particular to Alex, Gary, Jeremy, Laterra, Sammy, Skippy.
- Resort: The place is amazing and it is impressive to see the amount of work and love put into building this wonderful resort in such a remote and wild area. The temperate rainforest is so amazing and pretty. All the infrastructure from the hard-built houses to the tents, the numerous boats, the stables, the road, the staff premises, etc. tell a lot about the energy put into this project. We stayed in an en-suite tent and we really appreciated the space, the comfort, the outdoor shower, the heating in the bathroom and the candles at night.
- Food: Congratulations to the chef and his team for the absolutely fabulous food: should you wish to enjoy the 5-course meal or “just” a grilled fresh-caught salmon salad, you would be delighted. Thank you also to Thereza for teaching us about BC wines with such passion.
Kids have already asked when we will return there. Well, we’ll have to save as indeed it is an expensive resort, but it is definitely worth every dollar and we do intend to go back.
Thank you Adele, John, Gary and all your exceptional team for making our stay a once in a life experience and for giving us so much to remember and to dream about.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank Pascale M
Reviewed 22 August 2015

Just got back from 4 nights celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. First let me admit we are basically locals. Born and brought up in BC. Spend lots of time outdoors. Active. Been to Tofino and Uke lots before etc. Our two primary concerns were 1)travelling as a couple would we feel like we were stuck on someone else's family vacation? (we love kids and have kids but that's not what this trip was about for us) 2)having seen whales, bears etc., fished, beachcombed, hiked etc for most of our lives, would it really be that good? Both fears were unfounded. Despite the fact there were only two couples in camp when we were there and the rest were families we did not feel over run by kids. They sensibly and thoughtfully put the two couples at the remote end of the camp away from the others. We were never asked to go out with another family in a boat or on an activity. The one day we did the Wildside adventure we were put with the other couple and they were lovely. Despite the fact that we were definitely more able bodied and adventurous than them we still had a great day. We were not pushed into any activities we were not interested in. Horses plain out scare me and no one asked me to ride. We did however get to see the two day old foal and the few week old foal and that completely filled my horse quota for the year and was pretty lovely, even I have have to admit. We didn't do what some people on this site have called 'filler activities". But one man's filler is another man's core activity so it is all perspective. I did have a try at firing a gun for the first time ever...and I'm lousy at it and will stick to fishing! The fishing was great. We limited out on salmon and got a great big ling cod which we had for fish and chips lunch. Plus we got to tag along while our guide and his 3 yr old son pulled up the crab traps. This was a precious experience and we were honoured to be around for it. We were deeply encouraged to see how well the First Nation communities around the resort are respectfully and deeply integrated into the workings of the resort. If you are not Canadian this may not mean much to you, but as Canadians very aware of our dismal past with regards to treatment of Fist Nations this alone was worth the trip. The two young ladies on site carving the pole were wonderful to chat with. To hear that next summer they hoped to carve a 20 foot pole and train up two more was so encouraging. Our guides who shared about their families and experiences with us were wonderful. We felt like we learned a lot about a population of our country we don't get much chance to get to know first hand.
Activity highlights for us were the fishing, our hike and the swimming (yup, crazy canuck who likes to get cold in the water!). The massages were really good as was the yoga each morning. A very loud shout out to REAL music at the camp! Had a massage and did a yoga session both with real music (songs, with lyrics!!!) that was completely appropriate to the mood yet not that damned tinkling ommm-type massage/yoga/spa sound track. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Then there's the food. Words can't quite do it justice. It was SO local, SO fresh, SO creative and yet still wonderfully unpretentious. Loved sitting at the bar to watch them all work. Amazed how willing they were to turn out those great meals yet still be able to chat and share their stories and enthusiasm for the food. Nothing was too much trouble. We asked for smaller portions and they gauged it just right. (Although I still gained weight :-( It was worth it. Really appreciated how collaborative they were and how generous the chef as in training up other younger chefs. I left feeling that the BC culinary future was in some very fine hands!
What could be improved? The chat to orient everyone was a bit long. I would have liked a little more on the First Nations history, some geology of this unique region, etc. Perhaps a tour of the site or some other activity. I'm sure with some creativity this area could be jazzed up a lot. That being said, the fact that they turn the tents all over in such a short time is pretty remarkable. We loved our tent. Comfortable, nicely appointed a decent balance of luxe and rustic. The mattress was particularly comfortable and the linen is great. Personally I'd love to see more hiking trails. I know you can heli hike, but I'd love to see the Penny Falls hike extended right up to that lake I found on google earth just over the top of the mountain. Maybe not too many want to work that hard on holiday but I'd go out for a solid 6 or 7 hour hike just to justify dinner!
One reminder to prospective guests: As the name of the resort reminds you, this is wilderness. And Canadian wilderness is pretty wild. Some complaints of other guests on this site (sea plane staging being one) are flat out safety issues. We were impressed with how safety conscious they were with everything without being paranoid or overt about it. That being said I wouldn't have minded a quick note on their tsunami protocol, just the way you would be left instructions to the fire escape if you were staying in any regular hotel.
All in we loved it. It was worth the money. As I write this review I wish I were heading off for my tent right now. Can't wait for next time!

Room Tip: en suite tents are great
6  Thank s0j0urner
Reviewed 20 August 2015

Just back from a stay at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort and it was an experience that I will never forget, for all good reasons. The activities are very varied and there is something for everyone. We just wanted to hike, and this was no problem, we were given different routes and a knowledgeable guide for each walk. The food was as good as you would get in any 5 star restaurant, but they were very ready to be flexible with your likes and dislikes. The staff were excellent, knowledgable and friendly. The luxury tents are very comfortable whilst retaining the idea that you are actually in a tent. Loved the outdoor showers. The wildlife spotting was excellent too, otters, whales, bears, sea lions etc. Could not recommend this resort enough, and would hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Choose en-suite tents, not all are.
2  Thank kathy m