“Great place”
Review of BLUE'S CAFE

BLUE'S CAFE
Ranked #2 of 68 Restaurants in Kankakee
Cuisines: Diner
Description: At Least 11 Different Home Made Pies Available Daily - Apple, Peach, Cherry, Butterscotch, Hawaiian, Lemon Meringue, Chocolate, Pecan, Coconut, Banana, Etc.
Reviewed December 12, 2017 via mobile

Food was great and service even better! Save room for the pie... outstanding!! I will certainly be going back. Can’t wait to try their breakfast.

Reviewed July 16, 2017

Very clean, bright, fun diner. Kind of on a side street. I would walk there everyday if I could. Great breakfast specials and pie look yummy, but didn't have room for any. Good service, friendly and seems to have a lot of regulars. Would definitely try for lunch nexttime.

Reviewed June 24, 2017

We took a ride with my sister down to Kankakee (about 35 miles SE of us) to try this little restaurant a friend told her about. It's a "Mom and Pop" type place that has been in business more then 52 years. Nothing fancy. Has a very simple menu.

I had read up on it on a local site and kind of knew what it would be like, so I wasn't surprised at the location or decor. To me forewarned is forearmed.

It wasn't a false, commercially made up, Disney World kind of 1950's feel...this was more of the genuine "real deal". A tiny unpretentious building with blue awnings, sitting on a side street near the downtown area of Kankakee. Actually only about two blocks away from both hospitals, Riverside and St Mary's, and the Kankakee river.

When we arrived at lunch time (thank goodness for our GPS) we found the restaurant busy with what seemed to be local, neighborhood people of all ages, from the town there.
You could tell these people had been coming here to eat for years. It was a "seat your own self" kind of place with booths and tables. A small salad bar was also there.

We thought we would just start with something simple. Hamburger for my husband, BBQ Beef sandwich for my sister, and I had a Patty Melt with fries. There wasn't much of a wait for our food and the waitress was very friendly. I found my Patty melt hot and adequate. My sister liked her BBQ Beef.
We had read that the pies here were also good but didn't have room for dessert.

Over all, it was a nice visit, but not one that we would probably do again, as I feel the food wasn't something that we couldn't find elsewhere nor worth the long drive down there.

I do want to add though, It is refreshing to see this type of restaurant still thriving in this town. It was a flash back to the style of 1950's and how things use to be...but with today's prices. ;-)

Reviewed June 23, 2017

Went for lunch and had hamburgers. It's not as cheap as you think when everything (fries and tomato slice) is priced Ala carte. 49 cents for a thin slice of tomato??? In June? And not mentioned on the menu but slipped in on the bill? Just raise your price by a dime...but 49 cents??? Food (burger, fries and onion rings) were OK but not any more special than other diners or Culvers.

Reviewed June 15, 2017

Best biscuits and gravy. Skillets are good as well. Lunchtime is busy but service is fast and efficient. Homemade pies are amazing.