All reviewsrooftop deckfrench pastry chefyogurteuropean experiencesteel cut oatmealantique furniturecharming place to stayhard boiled eggscontinental breakfastwarm croissantsmorning pastriescozy librarynorthwestern universitypurple lineoff street parkingotis elevatoroak street
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This is my 4th stay at the Margarita. The staff are friendly like family. There is a beautiful continental breakfast courtesy of the charming French pasty chef, who stopped by to chat with the guests this morning. Everything is fresh and handmade. A healthy selection of fresh Greek yogurt, oatmeal, fruit and boiled eggs. And then 4 heavenly pastry trays. Fresh hot coffee and tea. The rooms are clean and the bed was very comfortable. Bathrooms are recently renovated. A true gem !

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

While we often stay at the usual hotel chains, we also look for B&B type places. Thought we’d give this a try. Old converted residence for young, unmarried ladies. Room was nice, modern upgraded bathroom and shower. Very comfortable bed. TV was a little small for the viewing distance, but we weren’t there to watch TV.

Breakfast was a delight. Large living room setting with fresh pastries prepared on site by a Frenchman, was very pleasant and cheery. Croissants were wonderful - had two. Pleasant setting and conducive to conversation with other guests.

Definitely will stay there again next time we are in the area.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Really different than 90% of chain hotels. Has a history as a single womens boarding house. A real French chef makes pastry for breakfast. Short walk to many resturants for college students. Interesting elevator from the olden days is fun.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

See my earlier review from November 12, 2017. A week after my review, I received a notice that my reservation was changed to February dates “at the same rate....subject to availability.” As it turned out, I did not keep the reservation. To my surprise and bafflement, the Margarita charged an extra $20 to my credit card! I called to ask about the charge. Michael was very polite, but mystified. He assured me someone would get back to me in the next day or two. Of course no one did. There was no excuse for the extra charge....there were dozens of rooms available there that weekend. It’s a small amount, but if they do it often enough, to enough customers, it adds up to a bonus for them. It is an unscrupulous practice. If you decide to deal with them, watch out.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Moira R
Reviewed 16 January 2018

This is a wonderful old quaint hotel. The staff is fantastic, the rooms are quaint and stylish. They serve a wonderful breakfast every morning that includes French pastries, Greek yogurt, and oatmeal.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled on business
Margaritainn, Owner at Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Dear Diana,
Thank-you for choosing the Margarita European Inn for your stay in Evanston and taking the time to share your experience with us and future travelers.
We have a very dedicated team and it is an honor to serve our guests.
Safe Travels,