“Pricey and not all that!”

Garrett Popcorn Shops
Ranked #10 of 454 Quick Bites in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Description: Since 1949, Garrett Popcorn Shops has been the home of the original Chicago-style popcorn. Fans and popcorn lovers from around the world line up outside our shops for our irresistible cheddar cheese and caramel popcorn mix. Our menu also includes plain, buttery, cheese, caramel, cashew, almond, pecan, macadamia, and seasonal flavors. Dedicated to preserving our secret family recipes, we only use high-quality, local ingredients to create our delicious popcorn in old-fashioned copper kettles. Made fresh daily in small batches, our gourmet popcorn is gluten free, preservative free, and full of delicious flavors. Stop by our shops to try our famous treats or order your popcorn tins online. Join our mailing list and follow us on social media to be the first to know the latest news and promotions.
Reviewed 3 March 2021

My experience was at the Ontario Street location. While the staff was ready to serve me, I didn't feel like they cared if I bought their product or not.

Even during COVID times, there needs to be a way to sample product that is priced at a premium. NOPE, can't because masks are mandatory. Really? Get over yourselves!

I did buy the Buffalo/Ranch combo for a souvenir - recipient said it was good but they've had better. Ouch!

So if you're in Chitown, swipe left and enjoy another local favorite IMO.

Date of visit: March 2021
1  Thank johnjT5799BX
Write a reviewReviews (3,093)

Reviewed 13 February 2021 via mobile

May be good popcorn but WHEN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS GARBAGE IT KILLS OFF YOUR BUSINESS SLOWLY DROVE UP TO CHICAGO 2 hour trip 2x’s in a Month every ordered s screwed up tonight ordered off 87th missing a 13.65 bag no ones checking to see if it’s Carmel crisp or Crisp with Almonds It’s sad when u pay for somethings don’t don’t get it IM ASKING WHERES THE NUTS !!!!!

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 12 February 2021 via mobile

Miss leading popcorn and candy advertisement. I purchased can of popcorn and a box of candy it was advertised for $47 and was charged $10 for shipping so now it’s $57. The can of popcorn was about 1 gallon and the box of candy was so small I couldn’t believe it. Their popcorn and candy is Overpriced. I won’t be ordering from them anymore. To me this is a complete rip off.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 24 December 2020 via mobile

The website description of the tin sizes leaves much to be desired.
Got very tiny tin which cost me $51 and was utterly shocked. I called customer service and asked for a manager. Now let’s talk about incredibly bad service. First of all Mark only wanted to tell me about his awful day and wanted to know why I didn’t ask him about his day. Wow!
Then he told me that he had all kinds of info on all my purchases over the years. And that he had been with the company for over 15 years and proceeded to intentionally agitate me. Not once did he ask me what my issue was. So I finally jumped in after listening to him and his issues and attempted to tell him. All he said was so do u like the popcorn? Wow!
Hands down the worst customer service experience ever. The popcorn is not that special that one has to be subjected to rude, arrogant and unprofessional behavior. I have seen all kinds of gourmet popcorn in the market and have decided to swing my business in that direction. And I advise anyone reading this to do the same.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank kc0102
Reviewed 22 November 2020

I have been eating the Chicago Mix caramel and cheese for 40 years. It use to be worth the wait and I would go out if my way, stand in ling lines to get it. Now standing in line doesn't take as long because the taste isn't heavenly and longtime customers are abandoning the companies that refuse to supply customers with the quality and taste they come to expect!

I found out, after buying from three separate locations and returning or calling to complain about the Chicago Mix purchase. Only after my 3rd disappointment, did I find out that there has been recipe change.

I wad wondering why the long lines had all but disappeared, the taste has diminished and supposedly the taste has had to be sacrificed for a neater eating experience.

Complaints had been coming in about the cheese band butter being messy and instead of giving the complainers an some alternative, they took away what made eating Garrett's Popcorn a wonderful, extremely fresh experience.

How incredibly horrible is that!

Date of visit: November 2020