“Dinner with clients ”
Review of The Publican

The Publican
Reserve with OpenTable
The Publican is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Fulton/Green St.
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus, exit on Fulton Market Stop. 3 blocks east of Morgan Green/Pink Line stop.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was a wonderfully different restaurant the food was extremely fresh the farm chicken was the most moist and tender chicken I've ever had! The beets were delicious,the meat board was extremely tasty, The print plate with different toppings was so good, the pickle plate was good, extensive selection of unique beers and wines. You can't leave without having the cookie jar! The service was absolutely excellent great teamwork. The menu changes daily and it's farm to table. I wish I'd taken pictures of all the food but I got busy eating. The food is served family style so a table of six will have plenty.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had Sunday brunch at The Publican and I was really disappointed. I have heard so much about this restaurant for so long and all I can say is that I have no reason to go back

I was with a group of friends and we were in for a good fun brunch. The food was fine, but the service was terrible.

Once our food was served it was very hard to get the attention of the waitstaff. Most of the time they seemed to congregate together and were more interested in chatting with each other than their guests. On several instances we had a hard time waving down someone...for simple things like empty water glasses. One of my companions commented “they seem like they are totally wasted.” Perhaps she was right.

Our bill was brought to the table before we were asked if we wanted anything else, like dessert. And then, the coup de grace: they cranked the music incredibly loud with obnoxious music at 2pm. The dining room was still 1/4 full with people who had come after us.

My take? It was Easter Sunday and there were no grownups (ie management) around to oversee things. It was very unenjoyable and I am sorry I dragged my friends there. With so many good restaurants in Chicago, why bother? In fact, we walked across the street to Beatrix and continued our afternoon. Never again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were in Chicago with 2 other couples and this restaurant was highly recommended and we were certainly underwhelmed. It is quite a distance from the heart the heart of Chicago, it took us about 45 minutes to walk there from the Fairmont hotel at Millennium Park. We arrived early before our friends and they would not seat us and they did not even have a bar for us to sit at while we waited for the rest of the group to arrive, they would not sit us until the entire party arrived. The premise of the restaurant is good and well decorated and well staffed, however the portions were small and everything has a price and this is what I struggle with, especially the price charged for fresh vegetables. They are notable know for their pork and so there are several different types to choose from along with beef and fish options. You order as a tables and share the food, I do not enjoy eating this way but I know a lot of people do so just know this before going.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While visiting from Toronto, I had the good fortune to try the Publican for Saturday brunch with local friend of mine. I had seen it featured on TV and it was on my list of places I wanted to try on one of my annual visits to Chicago. The food was great, as was the atmosphere and service. Communal eating is a very social experience so if you were looking for a seclued dining experience, this place isn't for you. If you enjoy conversation, say hi to the people sitting next to you and eating really good food, then you have to try the Publican. The only reason my rating isn't a 5 is that I wish there was a bit more selection on the brunch menu. We were given an menu that you could not order from on a Saturday and there some items I would have really liked trying. That said, great experience and I plan a return visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

This style of dining is probably attractive to young people because the noise may seem exciting. But our party of 4 had to shout across the table to be heard. The food was disappointingly average. We shared oysters and mussels which were good, branzino, ham, apple salad And brussel sprouts which sounded good but werenothing unusual. Cocktails and wine were very good, service was very accomodating. Not an evening that we would repeat though.