“Unethical - 40% tip added without customer consent”

Paula's Thai Kitchen
Get food delivered
Ranked #6,181 of 10,006 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I've been to Paula's kitchen many times and as of late, their service has significantly decreased including servers tipping themselves 40% of the bill before I even have an opportunity to tip. As I made the mistake of not looking at the itemized receipt before paying because I wanted to take care of my table before they had the opportunity to see the bill, I ended up tipping an additional 20% of the bill with the 40% previously added gratuity included. Adding 40% in tips without informing the customer is unethical of any business. The servers distracted me while paying by engaging in conversation about the extremely lackluster service (3 hours dinner for a table of 3). We had to request basic things such as water, remind team of our delayed drinks (over 30 min wait for ice teas and mango juice).

Additionally, the servers do not follow the new COVID 19 mask mandate, violating Chicago's COVID-19 regulations.

I'd not recommend Paula's Thai Kitchen to anyone anymore as this place has proven to be unethical in their practices. It’s unfortunate as the food is amazing but it’s not worth the scam.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (4)
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

*Disclaimer: I am Thai, and I will no longer bring my business to the restaurant

I have been a frequent customer (at least 2 times a week) at Paula's Thai Kitchen for approximately 1 year. I have recommended and spoken highly about the place to all my friends. Many of them are also now frequent customers. Recently, the quality of service at Paula's has been dropping significantly, especially around the weekend. I have had to spend over 2.5 to 3 hours every time I visit due to "a large number of customers". However, during my latest visits, I witnessed other customers come in and out while I had to ask the waitresses for every single service (water, check, food, etc.). Additionally, the attitude of the waitresses over the weekend could not be worse.

On top of that, during my last visit, the waitresses sneaked a 40% tip onto ~$100 bill without informing us. Having not experienced this level of unethical behaviors before, we were caught off guard. My friend, who wanted to give the waitresses the benefit of the doubt because they were busy, ended up tipping an additional 20% on top of the bill. During the payment process, they pretended to "apologize" about the level of care we received, to distract us from the additional tip sneaked in.

Please see the review by "Gabriella Rocha" for the picture of the bill.

Date of visit: August 2021
Reviewed 26 July 2021 via mobile

The young women who run this place, are as charming as the place itself. You walk in to a small front room, and from there you can choose the quirky, wood and plant filled indoor room, or the small outdoor patio. After that decision, you can try and decide which of the fresh
and varied dishes you want to try. Some are familiar, others like the raw shrimp or Spicy Basil Leaves with a sunnyside up egg, decidedly not. The Thai people eat with a fork, or their hands-which is wonderfully tactile-, so you don't need to worry if you're not chopstick proficient. Some outstanding dishes are the Red Snapper and fresh peppers; the Larb, a kind of salad served with ground pork or chicken, the Moo-Ping, and don't forget to order the corn cakes: crispy, corny, delicious!
Did I mention BYOB with no corkage fee? Hey, that rhymes!
Pay a visit, you won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 28 August 2018

We ate in some expensive, well revised places in chicago but this was my favourite place to eat; reasonably priced and delicious Thai food. Simple, affordable, delicious. Food tasted fresh, beautifully spiced, quick and decent service.

Date of visit: August 2018