9,371 results
All reviewsadults only sectionred flaggourmet restaurantmain restaurantinfinity poolboa vistacape verdemain poolsalt waterswim up barrelaxing holidayevery other daythe main squareroom in blocktwo weeksevening entertainmentno stress
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

There is nowhere to go outside this hotel, wish I had checked this before booking but never mind the all inclusive was as expected based on the previous reviews. The holiday was good, hotel was clean (compliment to housekeeping for the interesting bed arrangements) and fairly well maintained. Staff were mostly polite, helpful and a thanks to the gardener who gave us a coconut, a small thing but our niece was very pleased.
Pool and bars are all great, pool areas could do with more shade as that is difficult to find in the afternoon but some of the best bar staff I've seen in a while, particularly the team that serve the bar in the middle of the entertainment square, they work so hard, totally on the ball and brilliant service. Entertainment was actually quite good, the x factor night was funny and these guys work hard to make sure everyone has a good holiday so it's worth a look.
My one issue would be it was too busy at peak meal times and I feel at bit short on the waiting staff and buffet chefs etc, particularly at breakfast or evening meals. There is a mention previously about booking the speciality restaurants early, good idea to book on arrival. Plenty food on offer for most tastes so you shouldn't really go hungry but I was bored at the end of the week.
Overall a fantastic week in the sun, no stress, beautiful beach and memorable.

6  Thank weeeejit
Reviewed 3 April 2018

This was our first trip abroad with our 19-month-old son and I will start by saying that we had a brilliant time. It worked really well for a family with a toddler and the staff there were all great. We were lucky to have great flights both ways, the only point of note being that we had very little food as we are vegetarian and were told we should have pre-ordered. Fair enough, so I spent half an hour scouring the TUI website while out there to sort something out for the way home, to no avail, so we went hungry again...

My main gripe is that TUI describe the resort as 5-Star: it is not. I believe that they refer to this as a local rating, but, unless you're going to ascribe to a universally recognised star system, this is pretty meaningless. Like I said, we had a great time, but I do think that the fact that TUI claim that it's 5 Star means that I need to critique it in this manner.

The rooms are pleasant and clean and I thoroughly recommend getting a suite for an extra £100 if you can afford it and are travelling with children. Our balcony wasn't in the sun during the day and it's dark at night, so we weren't really able to use this comfortably during nap/bedtime for our little one, so the lounge area was really handy. The sofa we had was possibly the most uncomfortable I've ever sat on and the pillows were laughable. When booking, I noticed a photo including mini travel products in the bathroom, so foolishly left my conditioner at home... is this sounding like 5 star accommodation yet?

The food was good for an all-inclusive (3.5 /4 star, absolute max) buffet - a wide range with many diets catered for, but it didn't really differ greatly each night so we did get a little bored of the same things each day. Our son is a brilliant eater but even he turned his nose up at the overcooked veggies. They do like to add meat to everything and on one occasion there were three different pastas but all had meat of some kind added. I asked if it was possible to have any without meat and the brilliant chefs whipped up something delicious for us. Very impressed. There are a number of restaurants but we had a bit of a nightmare with these. We tried to book them all on the first day and were more or less laughed at for even trying. We managed to get the Italian for our final night but that was it. We noticed that the Grill restaurant was always half empty, despite being told it was fully booked, and we did get invited in to this one evening when walking past. I'm not sure why the other restaurants are so inaccessible.

The biggest con was that the pools were absolutely freezing. I wouldn't have minded so much if it were just the two of us, but it really was too cold for a little one. He managed to paddle but could only spend a few minutes swimming, after which we had to get him changed really quickly as there's a constant cool wind. I was pretty annoyed about this, as it stated when booking that the pools are heated in winter. I also heard that the adults only pool was heated while we were there?!

It's also worth noting that the sea has a red flag almost all year - probably not rough enough to deter anyone used to the British coast, but you wouldn't be covered by insurance if injured while the red flag is up. I feel this should, again, be made clear at booking.

Boa Vista itself really is in the middle of nowhere and there is very little outside of the resort - we were aware of this at booking and it wasn't a problem for us as we were just looking for somewhere to relax and didn't really want to venture too far with a toddler. The sun was lovely but it was windy for almost all of the time, making it feel cooler than the average 25 degrees.

All in all, we had a great trip, but I think TUI should reconsider their rating, so people know what to expect. I think my review would have been far less critical if this had been the case.

3  Thank Katie A
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Just returned from 11 nights with 2 children aged 3 & 5, whilst there is some room for improvement I would recommend this as a good family hotel.

Good flights from Manchester airport & even the standard seats were ok on leg space, no inflight entertainment but plenty of games/ films on the IPad plus colouring books kept the children entertained.

Boa Vista airport is tiny, passport control/visas quickly & efficiently dealt with.

Despite 3 buses arriving at the same time the hotel did everything they could to keep check in quick & easy, suitcases delivered directly to our rooms whilst we had a drink. The hotel is massive but despite it being full for the whole of our holiday we found no problems getting sun beds, little to no waiting at the bars & food readily available at all times. Given the number of people the hotel is catering for the food is ok & no one should ever go hungry, but remember this is a family hotel catering for many different tastes & if you want Michelin star food every night it may not be the place for you.

We tried all the different pools & each offered a different experience, the main pool does need some TLC as a large number of the mosaic tiles are missing & if left much longer will make the pool look tired & quite dirty. The new pool near block 9 is lovely, more suitable for adults/ older children but our little ones loved a swim in there late in the afternoon.

Nice rooms & the maids provided a different towel creation ever day, photo attached.

Whilst not somewhere we would choose for a couples holiday, we felt it was perfect for a holiday with our 2 grandchildren & will definitely be back at this time of the year in the future.

5  Thank Jane P
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This is our first all inclusive without children and were a little apprehensive because we don’t enjoy buffet food and queues for drinks. We needn’t have worried, the complex is the largest we’ve ever experienced but didn’t feel vacant nor did it feel crowded. That said we visited the week before Easter holidays and it did become noticeably busier as the week went on. What makes this place is the enthusiasm of its staff, from entertainment crew to TUI reps to amazing proficient and efficient bar staff. The complex has everything for a busy or quiet holiday - you choose- activities are non stop during the day, if you want to get involved (or not). I would advise booking speciality restaurants on arrival - the two we enjoyed most were the Italian and Asian. The rooms are spacious and clean with bottled water in plentiful supply. Just a small point is the 6 hour flight without any entertainment on board - so load up the iPad before you go! Great winter location - it is windy but a lovely all round temperature.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
8  Thank traceylancaster
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Just had two weeks holiday ( adults only) section at this lovely fantastic value hotel
The food,staff, cleanliness , are all second to none . In particular a mention for
Joao Condeca the manager who resolved some issues for us without fuss and with
maximum courtesy
The beach is spectacular although the sea is not suitable to swim in due to heavy waves
We will be back soon
John and Christina Scott
Exmouth

Room Tip: Some rooms a considerable walk to main building
  • Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple