“Early Saturday Night Dinner ”

Woodstack Bbq Tavern
Ranked #26 of 261 Restaurants in Valdosta
Price range: US$3 - US$16
Description: Authentic Southern Barbecue
Description: Authentic Southern Barbecue
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Arrived around 3 PM Sat afternoon. No wait and only a few other couples and/or family’s there. Shared the fried fresh veggies appetizer which was very good. Burnt ends Philly sandwich with a side of amazing fried Brussel sprouts. Good pulled chicken sandwich with homemade potatoes salad. Great meal with plenty of food. Desserts were not as good as we thought they’d be but apparently they change weekly so we’ll try again. Much better than the similar restaurant down the street. Definitely recommend!

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Passing through Valdosta and decided to give Woodstack a try. It did not disappoint. I had the best pulled pork plate and brussel sprouts. Both were as good as I have ever had. My husband had pork and sausage plate - delicious! The slaw is also a wonderful recipe.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

My German fiancé recently discovered the joys of pulled pork and we stopped off on a road trip. He thinks it's the best barbecue he's had so far. You come in the restaurant and the restaurant smells of smoke (in a good way). There are vintage ads for Coke and Budweiser. It feels fairly old-timey despite being so new.

We both had two-meat plates (I had pulled pork and brisket; he had pulled pork and dark chicken). My sides were brussels sprouts (a daily special) and Brunswick stew; he ordered a double-order of fries. We loved all of the meats. I did try a bite of his chicken and thought it was probably the weakest of the three. Chicken is served on the bone and is not pulled, and his thigh and leg had tons of little bones in it. The pork and brisket were nice and juicy. He liked his fries; they are more wedges than fries and are seasoned with barbecue seasoning. I loved my brussels sprouts - they were a little smoky and crunchy and heavily salted and I could have eaten them for days. I wish I had tried something other than the Brunswick stew, though. It was watery and had lots of beans in it and very little meat. I did try all the sauces on the table but most of the little chalkboards with the names had been wiped clean. I could tell which one was the house sauce and that was my favorite. I couldn't really tell the difference between the two yellow (presumably mustard) sauces.

The other negative aspect of the meal was the staff, particularly our server, who wasn't really on his game. For example, we started off by ordering a water and two beers (both beers for my fiancé, who's used to ordering a liter of beer at a time, and typically enjoys drinking three beers during mealtime in the US - he doesn't drive, so it's OK ;) ), and mentioned that we'd order food after my fiancé was done with one of his beers. The server asked if we wanted lemon in the water (answer: no). He brought us two waters with lemon and no beer, and asked if we were ready to order. Then he brought us one of the two beers. We ordered food asked him to go ahead and bring a second beer and also ordered a third, requesting that we get the other two beers at the same time. The waiter kept bringing out beers one at a time and we had to ask him for each individual beer. I can understand if a restaurant will only serve one beer at a time, but at restaurants where that's the case, it's usually explained to us upon ordering. That wasn't the case here. He did ask us no fewer than five times how our food was, which came across as more invasive than anything else. We saw other staff members quietly bickering with each other as well. It wasn't long before closing at that point but still came across as unprofessional.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch with family. Tried the fried pickles and pork rinds. Both were good. The pork rinds cane out fresh and still popping with a good pepper jelly. Had the brisket sandwich which was good. Got the Brunswick stew as a side. It was ok but NOT what I consider stew. It was vegetable soup with some meat in it. Wife had a smoked chicken salad which she enjoyed. Service was good. If given the choice I would go to the smokin pig right down the street before I went back here.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Top notch bbq w a nice twist. I'm always up for something new, the specials are just that. Black bean dip and bbq dusted chips... lots to choose from. And you havent even got to the pork yet. Interesting salads, not your run of the mill. You can go for the new recipes but be warned they will change your mind about the same old flavor, too. It is good bbq, alone, no lie. And the pickles are as delicious as my grandmother's. Lots of great sandwiches and sides. Sauces are powerful good. All of them had a taste that takes each flavor up a notch. Couldnt decide on one. Tried em all. Jury is still out. Ill have to go back.