“The Seafood Bisque was Filled with Tasty Chunks of Lobster, Crab, and Shrimp!”
Review of Sundae Cafe

Sundae Cafe
Ranked #2 of 58 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 15 January 2017

I stopped in for dinner at 5PM, right when they opened, to grab a quick bite when I was out at Tybee yesterday. I sat up at the bar because I was by myself and didn't want to take up a table. The place filled up very quickly. They even had little signs at the bar, indicating upcoming reservations for bar seats that evening. Very popular spot!

I had planned to order the soup and calamari, but after eating a bowl of the delicious seafood bisque, and some of the yummy bread dipped in the flavorful oil-based dip, I had no room for anything else.

The bartender was extremely nice and friendly and she made sure I had great service, even though I was dining by myself at the bar. She also took the time to answer my question about why it is called the "Sundae Cafe".

Their menu is fabulous (so many great-looking choices) and I can't wait to come back and try more. The Seafood Cheesecake looked interesting. I highly recommend reservations if you are coming in for dinner, though. I was lucky to even get a seat at the bar.

Trisha S, General Manager at Sundae Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2017

It is always a pleasure to hear great things from wonderful people. It's our pleasure serving you. Please join us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,757)

Reviewed 14 January 2017

We went here for lunch. Very disappointing. We were going to have a club sandwich, but was informed they didn't have the makings for club sandwiches today. We had the special instead...grilled cheese sandwich and chili. Hubby asked if the chili was spicy since he cannot eat anything spicy. He was told it was very mild.

The chili was mild at first and then had an aftertaste of spice. The grilled cheese was basically some browned bread and a couple of slices of processed cheese. The sandwiches were basically kind of soggy. We asked if hubby could exchange the chili for French Fries and was told he could and when they were brought out, they were not crisp, but also limp. Both of us left with tummy aches.

Our server was very attentive and we don't blame her for the poor quality of the food. But we were very disappointed after reading the reviews and also having a local recommend the place.

The outside does look a little run down, but the inside was very clean and bright and looked to have been either recently redone or well taken care of.

So sorry to hear that your experience was not our usual. Please let the manager know next time you come in so we can make it up to you ( and recommend some of our signature dishes).

Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

This is a very small cafe with faded signs that would turn away anyone who isn't familiar with this place. Inside, it is beautifully decorated in tones of gray and cream and there is a lovely etched glass wall in the center of the room. The tables are nicely set and the bar is attractive. The crab sandwich was a little too soft and kept squishing out of the bun. The southern Cobb salad was delicious. The doors to two unisex bathrooms are squeezed in behind a waitstaff station making it likely you will open the door into a waitress when you exit. Parking is poor. The restaurant is quite popular as there was a steady stream of diners while we were there.

Thanks for dining with us. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

Don't let the on-site gas station or the strip mall location fool you, this is a real,. White table cloth restaurant. We were lucky to get in without a reservation (who knew?) but were rewarded by one of the nicest dinners we've had outside Manhattan.
We ordered small plates as appetizers and enjoyed outstanding fried shrimp and oysters. The entries did not disappoint. The wine list was extensive. My only regret was having no room for what looked like great desserts.

Thanks Dwight! We are so happy that we were able to give you a wonderful Sundae Café experience. Please come again and try some of our other Signature entrees.

Reviewed 14 January 2017

We visited this gem because of the ratings on Trip Adviser as we often do when looking for something nice when we travel. Upon arrival we were surprised to see the widows papered over like a store front being remodeled. When we entered we even more surprised to find a very pleasing interior and a wonderful, knowledgeable staff. One look at the menu and we knew we were in for a treat. Our server Erin took care of us like we were the only ones there. The food was well prepared and delicious. We look forward to returning to Tybee Island and Sundae Cafe. However, we will make a reservation next time. We almost didn't get a table.