“Dinner”
Review of Chili Thai

Chili Thai
Ranked #61 of 578 Restaurants in Columbus
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Quick friendly service. Good appetizers and great dinner. Had the Pad Thai with tofu. They go out of their way to accommodate and make sure you have a good meal.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

The menu is varied with lots of reasonable options. I like my food spicy, but the menu item that I selected, as listed, was not spicy. Easy change to mid-range which was just right. We ordered from the lunch menu which included appetizers as well as main courses. Meal without drinks or appetizers were in the $10 range.

Service was very good and we were not rushed even though we sat and talked for about 30 minutes after we finished our lunch.

Restaurant may be hard to find. It does front on a side street and is located in a re-purposed building. Parking is on the street and could be a problem. However, suspect many of the patrons walk from nearby businesses or one of the Columbus State University buildings.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We always enjoy our meals at this restaurant. The glass noodles are delicious, along with the spring rolls. If you like Thai food, this is one of our favorite spots.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

Due to mixed feelings about Chile Thai, it has taken me a long time to finally write this review. I wrote a rave review of Chile Thai in November 14; however, we were very disappointed this time.

It has been a tradition us and other Christmas Made in the South vendors to eat dinner at Chile Thai following the show. My husband and I eat there all three nights we are in Columbus and have done so the last four Novembers. Several of us have decided, however, that we will not be returning, due to the following reasons:

1. Most importantly, the food made us sick. It wasn't until I commented to my husband and our friends about my stomach disturbances each night (and well into the following day) that I learned I wasn't the only one. My friend had the same problem after eating the same coconut curry dish that I had (one day apart). At first, I thought I was coming down with a bug; however, after dining at Chile Thai three nights in a row and learning about the problems my friends and husband were also having, it wasn't a virus after all. I will spare you the specific details, but suffice it to say, it wasn't pleasant until my system was completely rid of that food... In addition, we know the problem was from what we ate at Chile Thai, because my husband and I didn't dine anywhere else for any other meal, and our friends hadn't eaten anything but packaged food the day they joined us for dinner. In addition, none of the vendors got sick from the hotel breakfast we all ate each day, and we ate different packaged foods (granola bars) for lunch that have been fine since.

2. The food was inconsistent and overall not nearly as good (in quality, taste or appearance) as it was in November 2014, 2015, or 2016-- and, we ordered the same dishes as before (a total of five different ones). Regarding consistency, my husband ordered Drunken Noodles on the first and third night, both with a request for 2 chili peppers. The third night, his food was bland. I ordered my dishes with one chili pepper all three nights, and my food was also bland on the third night.

3. The night my food was served in a fried shell, I got the sickest. It is my belief the oil had been reused over and over, and it was not fresh.

4. The service was way too casual and unprofessional the first night, and the service was poor all three nights. It took 20 minutes for somebody to come take our order and deliver water on the second night, we were never asked if our food was ok (all three nights), our friends ordered a glass of wine that never came, and it took way too long for our credit cards to be processed and returned to us. On the third night, I watched as our waiter took our credit cards, and then put the check books down next to the register and did other things for the next fifteen minutes. I watched like a hawk; however, anybody could have come along and casually picked up our cards and walked off. We had different servers all three nights, and they all failed, in our opinions. I used to be the head server and trainer where I worked several years ago, and I would have failed all three servers!

5. Having read (below) that Chile Thai has a health rating of 82 B, I am not surprised. Too bad the ratings aren't posted in the window like they are in California. I will be looking for those ratings, from now on.

I'm curious. Has ownership or management changed? Have the cooks changed? Has anybody else who has eaten there over the last several years had the same experience?

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Informed server that we only had 90 min to get our soldier back to base, & wanted appetizers & dinner at the same time, instead of staggered. She wandered away & didn't even take our order until we went to find her. Then food came out - over an hour - for Pad noodles! Then we had to go find her, again, for our bill!

Been to Chili Thai? Share your experiences!