“Blu is how you might feel”
Review of blu on the avenue

blu on the avenue
Reserve with OpenTable
blu on the avenue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 371 Restaurants in Winter Park
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: blu on the avenue brings modern West and East coast cuisines together with a twist. Featuring fresh seafood, salads, sandwiches, steaks, sushi and more.
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Went here for a birthday celebration and left under-impressed. This area of Winter Park boasts some fine restaurants, but not all of them meet the same standard. Blu is owned by group of restaurants which we have tried and found somewhat wanting, so we should have known! We chose Blu because we were looking for a place that had some vegan/vegetarian options - Blu doesn't advertise themselves this way, but they did offer some choices that we nice. On the good side, the server and hostess were nice, and the menu offered some nice options. We (my wife and I) had cocktails which were nice (and like in WP, just a tad overpriced), and our food was good - nothing special, but tasty and well-prepared (again, I am a little put off by a place that charges just a little more than they should for the kind of dishes they serve - perhaps this is due to the cost of having a restaurant in WP, but comparing the quality to other places in this area means Blu could step it up, or lower the cost just a smudge). The decor and set-up of the restaurant is a little confusing - we were seated at a table next to a free standing wall oddly placed in the middle of the joint (I guess to separate the "dining area" from the bar) and as you look at it, you wonder why the tables aren't placed on the other side of the space next to the permanent wall - you wouldn't feel so closed off. Place was full of people and energetic, so don't go for a quiet meal. All in all, with so many other choices in WP (and better value and better prepared dishes), we're Blu that we aren't likely to return.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

This place hit the spot. Great rolls, and salad. But more impressive was the friendliness of our waiter. I'm bummed i can't remember his name. He was friendly, quick and had a great demeanor. We had just finished a long cycle ride, and I was sooo thirsty. I swear he brought me 8 waters with a splash of cranberry and lime! As soon as I drank one, another was on his way. Anyhow, he was lovely to interact with, gave us suggestions on the menu and drink. We'd highly recommend.

1  Thank VPNYC
Suzannah F, Public Relations Manager at blu on the avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

I went to Blu with about 10 people during the September Magical Dining Month. Nearly all of those in attendance selected from the limited menu for the $33. which included a salad, main course and desert. Drinks were extra. The restaurant was not particularly dominated by a theme of any sort. However the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our group came around 5:00 on a Sunday, we lingered over our meal and around 6:30 or so it started getting quite crowded (we were the only ones there at 5:00).
I had intended to write this much sooner as I was very impressed with the food choices I made. Alas, I delayed to long and I can't recall my choices with certainty.
I believe my salad was Beef Carpaccio* Angus tenderloin, Grana padano cheese, watercress, capernaise, pink sea salt. It was delicious though not a large serving and only a couple pieces of meat, all that had selected it were very pleased. Others had ordered Beets Salad -Roasted beets, arugula, avocado, goat cheese, red grapes, granola, honey balsamic vinaigrette. Those who ordered it expressed disappointment and several did not eat their portion.
My choice for main course was Ocean Norwegian Salmon -BBQ dry rubbed salmon, grilled okra, johnny cake, burnt citrus honey glaze. It was outstanding! The salmon was melt in your mouth good. I like fish but this was perfection. I had to pace myself because I wanted to savor each bite.
For desert I had selected Chocolate Trifle -A chocolate lovers dream! A Nutella mousse layered with chocolate cake and topped with fresh whipped cream. Which our server recommended since I was conflicted among the offerings. I was very pleased with my choice and several who had made other selections, told me they had wished they had chosen it instead.
This restaurant is typically way out of my price range. It was a pleasure to enjoy the fine creations that were offered and I plan to go back next year for Magical Dining Month.
I saw many order the sushi at the bar, it looked good but I was still very pleased with my food choices.
This is worthy of least one visit. They have a few tables outside and I would consider that an option in the cooler months or after dark.
We were assigned two waitresses. They were attentive. I did have to remind them that they had forgotten to refill my tea but it was immediately attended to after they apologized.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Our group of 6 found this nice restaurant while walking around Winter Park looking for dinner on a Fri evening. We ate out on the sidewalk and enjoyed the people watching. The service was good as was the food. I enjoyed almond crusted swordfish and the group had a variety of things, everyone had a great time.

Thanks for the review! We hope you return to see us soon!

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Today we decided to eat in a different place in Winter Park só picked Blu.
We had the grilled cheese with lobster, a burger, a grouper sandwich and a salmon egg Benedict dish. All choices were great but the grilled cheese was my fav. Service was good and the ambiance very pleasant. I recommend !