“Dirtiest place I've ever eaten”

BeckyJack's Food Shack
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Weeki Wachee
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

After seeing rave reviews on yelp, and trip advisor, my family decided to stop by for lunch after spending the day out on the river, on a Wednesday. Walking up to the place, we notice that their car outside had been vandalized, that should have given away what we were about to experience. After walking inside, I smelled old oil, and I noticed how filthy the place really is. My family wanted to sit outdoors, and it was reminiscent of a trailer park outback. Somehow it smelt even worse outside, like possibly an animal had died somewhere near by. My husband really wanted to try their fish sandwich, and was so excited about it all day..when he got it, it was almost too fried to eat. The bun was burnt, it was drenched in tartar sauce, the tomato was even runny and just not what he expected. He ordered fries, and he didn't even get them until half way through his meal! My hamburger was overcooked and had no seasoning on it what so ever. Not to mention, I had asked our waitress for refills and it took about 10 minutes to just get water. When we went inside to pay, we noticed a few "employees" on their telephones. What a mess. I don't understand how they have great ratings. Unless you enjoy greasy, overcooked food and eating in a dirty establishment..then I'd definitely avoid this place. I can only imagine what that kitchen looks like. Sad.

2  Thank HeidiBarret

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I had the soft crab sandwich. A wet watery center with no flavor. The fries were old. The slaw side was not worth the extra 3 bucks. My friend got the crab cakes, her fries came out 5 minutes after the meals were served. I could see that her fries were 2 shaded lighter than my dried up darkened fries. Her friend had the mahi mahi reuben. He said it was the best mahi he has had. His side of mac and cheese came halfway through the meal. I don't reccomend this place.

1  Thank NikkiP231
Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

We learned of this place on line and decided to take a day trip to check it out. We were not disappointed. The atmosphere was quirky and quaint and the food was delicious. The crispy fish was excellent as was the crab cake and coco shrimp. The oysters were a little small. The service was great and a bonus was they allow pets on the patio.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

I gave this once funky, fun roadside spot 5 stars years ago. It was my go-to place for every visitor coming to the area. No longer. Cute and funky have given way to old, sad and really don't care any more. Food aside, the outdoor patio and environs looks like a garbage heap. Broken umbrellas and furniture and around the patio it looks like flotsam washed up by the tide. The food is far from what it used to be. Today our oyster Rueben's were over-battered, over-sauced and soggy and light on oysters. The once famed crispy fish Rueben's were just okay. The coleslaw used to taste just made but now it too is soggy and tastes like it just came from the grocery store. The whole place just seems like no one cares any more. Even the kitschy decor seems tired and very, very dirty. It worries me about the kitchen hygiene. Stay away until the owner gets off his or her laurels and brings Becky Jack's back to its former fun glory.

2  Thank gonegaiting
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We visited the shack after a kayaking trip. We were told about the crunchy fish sandwich. I ordered the crunchy fish Reuben and French fries. It was excellent. The fish was crunchy, flavorful and the addition of the coleslaw was great. Highly recommended!