“Couldn’t fish because of Irma”

Middleton's Fish Camp
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

The past 4 years it is a annual tradition for me and my family to come and fish at Middleton fish camp in the summer. We travel all the way from South America to fish. Last year the hurricane spoiled our fishing trips. The whole place was flooded and we were not allowed to enter. But we’re coming back! It’s beautiful and quiet place. The owner is very nice and helpful. Love the place,

Date of experience: September 2017
in 6 reviews
"nature"
"birds"

Reviewed 12 February 2018

I joined a group of photographers for tours on both a pontoon boat and an airboat. Roy Bass (yes, his real name) is the owner. He took us out to the best photo opportunities, which included birds (osprey, cormorant, anhinga, bald eagle, spoonbill, limpkin, brown and white pelican, and various egret, heron, ibis), gators, and of course beautiful land/waterscapes. The birds are just spectacular during the migratory mating and nesting season. Get there early to experience the sunrise. The camp is on the west shore of the lake, which is wide enough to provide a spectacular sunrise view. Fortunately the access is somewhat remote, or it would be swamped with people and boats. During our visit, the lake was natural and quite - relatively free of human disturbance.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank D D
Reviewed 22 January 2018

I almost hesitate to share anything about Middleton's and Blue Cypress Lake. It is untouched old-Florida beauty at its best, in the middle of nowhere, and an absolute treasure trove of great fishing.

Middleton's has been there forever and the Middleton family owned and operated it until just recentely, but the bait shop is well tended and fully stocked for bait and supplies. As fly fishers, we don't require bait but they're always very friendly and full of good 'scouting' information on what's biting!

Blue Cypress Lake is officially a county park, open from sunrise to sunset, but it is generally tended by the staff at Middleton's. The bathrooms are clean and the boat ramps are always ready to roll

If you're looking for a quiet day on a nice sized lake that isn't dotted all around with stucco homes or restaurants, this is the place for you!

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank Rhonda H
Reviewed 23 December 2017

We drove about an hour from our location to this camp. It is a little out of the way but so worth the visit. When we pulled in, Roxie came out to talk to us. She gave us a bunch of information from renting boats, going on a fishing or wildlife excursion or airboat tours. She was very helpful and had lots of info for us. Seeing our day was a short visit we opted to walking around the property fishing and birding from shore. We were not disappointed here. You are out in the peace and quiet were all you hear is nature. I would recommend renting a boat or taking an excursion. We can't wait to go back to do this!

Date of experience: December 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 March 2017

I rented a boat from them and the staff was very pleasant! they made sure I was all set and gave me tips on where to go. Although my interaction with Middleton's Fish Camp was limited, their attentiveness and friendliness was wonderful.

If you are wanting to go camping, boating, bird watching, etc. This is the place to. We saw a plethora of wildlife and beautiful views. I can't wait to go back to visit.

As one other commented, this is the real Florida! I think of it as Old Florida, the way it was meant to be seen.

Happy Adventures