“This Is a Hidden Florida Treasure!”

Middleton's Fish Camp
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 22 January 2018

I almost hesitate to share anything about Middleton's and Blue Cypress Lake. It is untouched old-Florida beauty at its best, in the middle of nowhere, and an absolute treasure trove of great fishing.

Middleton's has been there forever and the Middleton family owned and operated it until just recentely, but the bait shop is well tended and fully stocked for bait and supplies. As fly fishers, we don't require bait but they're always very friendly and full of good 'scouting' information on what's biting!

Blue Cypress Lake is officially a county park, open from sunrise to sunset, but it is generally tended by the staff at Middleton's. The bathrooms are clean and the boat ramps are always ready to roll

If you're looking for a quiet day on a nice sized lake that isn't dotted all around with stucco homes or restaurants, this is the place for you!

1  Thank Rhonda H
in 6 reviews
"nature"
"birds"

Reviewed 23 December 2017

We drove about an hour from our location to this camp. It is a little out of the way but so worth the visit. When we pulled in, Roxie came out to talk to us. She gave us a bunch of information from renting boats, going on a fishing or wildlife excursion or airboat tours. She was very helpful and had lots of info for us. Seeing our day was a short visit we opted to walking around the property fishing and birding from shore. We were not disappointed here. You are out in the peace and quiet were all you hear is nature. I would recommend renting a boat or taking an excursion. We can't wait to go back to do this!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

I rented a boat from them and the staff was very pleasant! they made sure I was all set and gave me tips on where to go. Although my interaction with Middleton's Fish Camp was limited, their attentiveness and friendliness was wonderful.

If you are wanting to go camping, boating, bird watching, etc. This is the place to. We saw a plethora of wildlife and beautiful views. I can't wait to go back to visit.

As one other commented, this is the real Florida! I think of it as Old Florida, the way it was meant to be seen.

Happy Adventures

2  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

This was our second time staying here.
Last visit was 4 days. On first visit due to weather we were never able to go out lake.
First visit place was dirty with cobwebs, mildew in bathroom and a/c vent, no usable pots or pans and dirty dishes. Had to clean kitchen before we could use it.
My husband really wanted to come back to fish on lake so i decided to come again.
Conditions were worse in cabin 4 this time than cabin 3 first time.
Mildew was so bad it made us all cough, sneeze and have sore throats.
The shower curtain was so filled with mildew we had to rip it down and throw it outside. Either time we stayed there were no sheets for pull out bed for our teenager.
We wanted to rent a boat for half a day but because the motors aren't being maintained they were inoperable.
I cried all day i was so disappointed.
The owners only comment was she is glad the season is over.
I feel if you're going run a year round business than the property should be maintained year round.
We should be just as important as people that stay here during season.

8  Thank Robin W
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2016

We visited for two nights. Took a boat tour each morning. The lake is very beautiful with the cypress trees and lots of birds, including osprey, pileated woodpecker, and barred owl. It is quiet and serene, and you don't have to lock your door! Jeanne her staff were good listeners and treated us well. The lake tours with Roxy were exciting and uplifting. It is the kind of remote natural place that we love and it was quite unexpected in central Florida, not far from the "real world".

2  Thank 500BarbaraE