Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Reviewed 10 January 2021
Bunmaster2014
Boca Raton, Florida
via mobile

All reviews light house visitor center monarch butterflies gulf of mexico bird watching st marks water birds great birding lighthouse road bald eagles nature center welcome center beautiful area hiking trails natural beauty wakulla springs picnic area
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 January 2021

What a beautiful place to feel one with Nature. This Refuge is on the Gulf coast. The waters are calm, and the wildlife is all around you. For $5 per car, you can spend the entire day there walking the trails, having a picnic lunch and taking it all in. The Visitor Center and Lighthouse are closed because of COVID restrictions. Don’t let that stop you from coming to this special area.

Date of experience: January 2021
2  Thank Noel78
Reviewed 11 January 2021 via mobile

There's an entrance fee of $5. The visitor's center was closed. It was a cold day. But there was a lot to see as I walked around. Ducks abounded. There must have been hundreds of them. I spotted a couple of herons. Eagles were nesting. Deer were walking about and foraging. Otters were walking around, even on the road. There were gators in the waters, but it was too cold for them to come onto the banks and sun themselves. Besides, the sky was cloudy with little sunshine. I saw only gator snouts and eyes out in the water. I didn't have to worry about encountering snakes. It was far too cold for them to be out. Good view of the outside of the lighthouse. This refuge is well worth visiting despite the cooler weather.

Date of experience: January 2021
Reviewed 28 December 2020

Big open areas to observe all types of wildlife. There is a double level viewing area that you can climb up to and view the whole vast area.

Date of experience: October 2020
1  Thank Hialeah73
Reviewed 28 December 2020 via mobile

While visiting my daughter who now resides in Tallahassee (we are from Nashville), we happened to come in what my daughter calls the coldest winter since she moved here 5 years ago, we decided we would make the best of our situation. I mean you can’t go wrong in Florida right?! Haha. I decided that I wanted to visit the St. Mark’s Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge. I am so so glad we came. We were bundled up like we were in good ole Nashville, Tn., but it was gorgeous (despite the hat and coats), I loved it. So serene and peaceful + it was so few people that it made it nice to be able to navigate with our having to social distance.. My new favorite refuge. I love this lovely place with the light house and aesthetic surroundings so conducive to peace and serenity.

Date of experience: December 2020
Reviewed 19 December 2020

Although it is a little difficult to find the entrance to the refuse, we were so glad we did. We watched a spectacular sunset from the lighthouse and my husband and daughter were able to get a nice five mile trail run in. The paths provided lots of different topography that made the run enjoyable.

Date of experience: December 2020