“Must eat here!”

Ranked #5 of 105 Restaurants in Sebastian
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: "Casual Italian Cuisine"...Chi Mangia Bene, Vive Bene!
Reviewed 28 July 2017

I a man writing this as I am still stuffed from dinner! My husband and I decided to try this restaurant after passing it a few times and reading about it in Trip Advisor. What a wonderful place! Be forewarned, it is busy on Thursday's as they have a 4 for 40 special (4 people eat for 40). It was busy but we were seated quickly, we decided to eat at the bar, which is usually not my favorite, but am so glad we did. We met Jasmine, who is the owner's daughter and was working the bar. She is awesome (and has the cutest haircut :-). She was personable and made sure we were well taken care of. All of the staff I. The place seemed very nice and we're moving like lightening, but without looking hurried or clashing into one another. It is a small place, but comfy and not cramped. I had portobello mushroom for appetizer, Cesar salad, cousins veal, and limoncello cake for dessert. Everything was awesome!! Most I tried based on Jasmine's recommendation and I was not disappointed and ate a few things that I do not normally order. She made me a rum punch, which was ok, but then followed it with a grapefruit vodka drink that she said was a specialty for her, and that was awesome! The limoncello cake was an excellent, moist, melt in your mouth, light dessert...like a lemony cloud, after having stuffed myself, particularly with extra bread so I could finish up the dipping oil. My husband loved his rigatoni with sausage. The chef/owner came out a few times and was a very nice person as well. What can I say, but thank you so very much for a top notch evening! We are concluding two weeks of vacation in Vero and this was the best way to wind down our trip. It was great getting to know Jasmine and we wish her much success in her future. In love with this place!! Thank you again!!

1  Thank Waltswyf

Reviewed 21 July 2017

First I want to apologize. This review was meant to be here at The Italian Cousin and NOT at the Italian Grill.

I want to share with you my first experience as a vegan eating at a restaurant.

I visited this restaurant today with family and guests. After touring near the area and searching on Internet for a vegan/friendly option restaurant, this lovely place came up as one, but unfortunately it was not the case. We were nicely received and seated at a table. We were given 3 different menu's: 1) Early Bird Special 2) 4 X $40 Thursday Special 3) Regular Menu, and there was no option for vegans on any of them. At this point, we let our waitress know that we had 2 vegans at the table and that there was no vegan options in the 3 menu's. After consulting back and forth with the kitchen they offered us a sort of 'pasta primavera' but with an extra cost. I asked why the extra cost -considering it doesn't have meat or cheeses- and she told me because it was not in the menu and it was done specifically for us as a vegan. She added that no items on either 3 menu's could be altered, meaning that you couldn't add, change or remove any ingredient/s - this was written in the menu's as well-.

So, our respectful conversation went like this:
Me: "The reason we are here is because we did a search on the Internet and this place came up as a vegan friendly/option restaurant."
Waitress: "Yes, we are vegan friendly."
Me: "But you don't have vegan options in your menu's."
Waitress: "Yes we do, I'm offering you an option."
Me: "With all due respect, offering me an option is not the same as being vegan friendly offering vegan entrees in your menu for me to choose."
Waitress: "Well we are not a vegan restaurant. " (at this point I momentarily felt uncomfortable, "wrong" for being vegan, for making healthier eating choices... like it was my fault for being vegan and going to a "non-vegan" restaurant... .)
Me: Ma'am I do know that. I never said we came here because this is a vegan restaurant but because the Internet shows you like vegan friendly that provides vegan options. You are only providing me with one option that is not in the menu and which I don't want, I would've like at least another option. (At this point I even pointed out two items in the regular menu asking her to withdraw the cheese from it)
Waitress: "We can't withdraw the cheese from any item you choose, because everything is already prepared."

I didn't want this to ruin the lovely evening and because everyone else already ordered, and I was almost certain that the "back and forth" with the kitchen was going to provide us other options, we decided to stay. I didn't ordered anything and I only ate the side salad from one of my kids entrees.

On the other side, the food the others ate was really good. They enjoyed it very much. The place is very clean. The atmosphere seems nice and the staff in general seemed nice.

I treasure the learning points of today's lesson in my health journey.

1. Never, ever be ashamed or feel upset for being vegan. It is a good, healthy choice.
2. Vegetables and fruits ARE FOOD. Every restaurant should have vegan options. They may think that because of a few/minority (vegetarians, vegans, gluten free or lactose free, etc) it won't affect their pocket, but every day people are making and transitioning to better eating choices.
3. If you are vegan, ask before being seated for vegan options and/or menu.

happycook101, Owner at The Italian Cousin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Wow! Thank You for such a detailed account. We are a small local restaurant that serves homemade Italian food for a reasonable price, in a clean, casual dining room. Our servers work as a team and are upbeat, friendly and like what they do. Your server explained several options for a vegan meal to your table, and as you stated, you wanted something other than what she offered. We have salads, vegetables, pasta and gnocchi for vegan diners. We do our best to accommodate our customers, and in the future, please feel free to call ahead and speak with the chef regarding other vegan options. We will do our part and develop additional vegan choices. Thanks Again!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Words cannot even describe how delicious the food is. Service is excellent!! The restaurant is by reservation only. Its a small but it's casual place to eat. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

This is a must stop in Indian River County. The food is incredible and at a great price. This is the real deal. Fresh, home made, excellent gourmet food. Service is great, atmosphere is pleasant.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

If you want good Italian food go here. I was really surprised at how much I liked it since I never really liked Italian food but they changed my mind.