“Good Ramen/Izakaya Place”
Review of Buya Izakaya Ramen

Buya Izakaya Ramen
Reserve with OpenTable
Buya Izakaya Ramen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 981 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 25 April 2018

I recently visited the Buya Izakaya Ramen Japanese restaurant to partake of some ramen. When I entered the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly, professional, and welcoming. I think he may have been the manager. After he seated me I perused the menu and was thinking of getting a full order of ramen and possibly an Izakaya dish - mainly different vegetarian options. I ordered a beer and was going to order the full sized ramen and inquired if I could have a half order of the Izakaya dish (gai lin). The server suggested a half portion of the ramen and a half order of an Izakaya dish for $13 which was about the price for a full order of ramen. I said sure and opted for the only vegetarian ramen dish on the menu and an order of Gai Lin for the Izakaya part of the meal. I still hadn't received my beer and when I inquired about it to another female server my male server who I had ordered from had forgotten about it. When the food came the bowl of ramen was smaller than what I was expecting with a small pile of Gai Lin sitting next to it. The first piece of Gai Lin - which is a Chinese vegetable similar; but not quite like bok choy - was quite tough. The other pieces were much better. The soup broth was very tasty and I enjoyed the noodles which were not plentiful. Upon further reflection and when I saw the size of a full ramen bowl served to other customers I should have opted for the full size of ramen. When I received the cheque I noticed the beer hadn't been added to it. I asked my server about it who said because he had forgotten about it the beer was on the house which I thought was generous. In conclusion the food was very good if not plentiful - at least for the half orders - so I would have to give it a lower grade in terms of value. The service was very sketchy - read poor - but my server I think may have been used to mainly bar duties. This was no excuse; but will give the young man the benefit of the doubt. The female server I noticed seemed much better. I liked the décor and atmosphere and they have a full bar. I would return if ever again in St. Pete; but would order the full-sized ramen.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

too bad the portions are extremely tiny .. especially for the price.. food is extremely flavorfull.. but if you are someone that values value .. then this is not a place for you..

We mentioned our issue with the protein portion but the server and the owner did not do anything to address it ..

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

I loved the flavors of the food. I love soup so this is a perfect place for me. It did seem a little expensive for ramen noodles.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

A 1st time visitor. Izakaya (small and inexpensive) plates range $6-$10 while the Ramen bowls on the other hand, a bit pricer at $13-$18. Not too bad considering the rather large bowls we noticed being served to the nearby table. 3 in our party. Appetiter ordered : Char Grilled Edamame was absolutely delicious. One ordered the Pork Belly Buns with very high marks on taste and flavor. One ordered the Ahi Poke Chilled Ramen Salad who was happily pleased with the overall dish though had a slight hesitation in eating the tuna (unappealing appearance, looked questionable) though our friend ate around the tuna. I ordered the Mushroom Ramen bowl (Shio, shiitake, miyake mushroom, scallions and nori). Delighted with the portion size and its beautiful presentation though was EXCEEDINGLY DISAPPOINTED when it came to taste. The ramen noodles were a healthy sized portion as was the nori and scallions, all resting in a yellowish broth. Had it not been for the slightest hint of nori flavored broth it was absolutely, positively TASTELESS. The only visible mushrooms were the two scant slices of a shiitake mushroom. For $14 I as expecting more then 2 slices of a mushroom, a heap of ramen noodles in a broth with nope, not, zip, nada flavor. I asked the other 2 in my party to taste before bringing to the attention of one of the three that were serving us that night. It was unanimously agreed there was something amiss so when I kindly asked, the only response given from our server was, “O, sometimes you just need to add a little salt that will enhance the flavor, can I being you some salt.” There was no, I’m sorry… nope, not, zip, nada just like the flavor of the Mushroom Ramen bowl.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We went for a late lunch Saturday afternoon. The restaurant was about 1/2 full. The menu consisted of several ramen dishes and several izakayas. We chose the crispy duck and chicken ramens and the edamame and broccoli izakayas. I really enjoyed the duck ramen, but my husband was not impressed with the chicken. He also hated the huge wooden ladle provided for the ramen. On the edamame, a good number were outside the pods which made it difficult to eat. The broccoli appeared to be a leafy vegetable, not what one would expect. While the staff were friendly, it was nearly impossible to find anyone after our meal was served. No check in to make sure everything was ok. Had to hunt someone down to get our bill. I was not overly impressed.