“The food was very good.”

Hot Tomato Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #3 of 13 Quick Bites in Ruskin
Reviewed 19 July 2018

Stopped in one day to grab a sandwich for lunch and a Raspberry pie for dessert for supper. I got the cuban hot sandwich and it was more than I could eat in one setting. It was stuffed with meat and was good size. I had it for two lunches as it was to much for one ( not that I am complaining). The raspberry pie was out of this world. It was stuffed with filling and tasted great. I will definitely be coming back here for more times than I probably want to admit.

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

The Hot Tomato...with cold service. Staff barely smiled when we entered and took a few minutes to acknowledge us at the counter. No...they were not busy. Lying to the masses...boasting the best sandwiches in town. We ordered a Classic Cuban. It was 98% bland ham and 1% Cuban pork with 1% salami. Nothing classic about that...Very little lettuce, couple tomatoes, diced onions-which was odd. Mayo and mustard mixed and slathered on one side. Looks good but it's not. They didnt offer a choice to press it or hv it cold. I prefer cold. It was pressed. It did not taste like a Cuban, at all. I usually pay under $4. Theirs was $6.99 for a ham sandwich that wasnt good. I also had the Texas Cheese Fries...tasty and they had cheese and bacon all the way through, not just on top. They got 1 star because the fries were good. While waiting, the friendly flies kept us company...and busy fanning them away. We may as well have been at a food tent and not an air conditioned building.
For me, first and last visit

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

First of all, not certain what planet people are on saying that the staff is courteous and friendly, but that's not what me and my wife received when we walked in. They weren't rude but definitely not friendly. Tried the Cuban sandwich and I must say out of all 40 something years of eating Cuban sandwiches around the Bay, Orlando and Miami, this was absolutely the worst sandwich I've ever tasted. Overloaded with mayo and the saltiest ham known to man. They have the audacity to call themselves having the best sandwiches in town. People from this area are probably used to eating crap like this. This was my first visit and it was the last. Thank you but no thank you. For those of you that are moving to the Ruskin/Riverview/Sun City Center/Wimauma area, I highly recommend going to your local Publix or Wawa to get your sandwich. Hell, you would do better at Subway. Let the locals continue to keep this place a float. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the multitude of flies will harass you before you get service. Maybe they should consider putting the flies on the payroll. Hell, the flies paid us more attention than the staff. Here's a pic of half my sandwich open.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

In our way to Ft Myers and stopped for lunch. Claimed they are the best sandwiches in town. Large variety of items. The popular tomato pie was fabulous. Tomatoes were so fresh tasting and loaded with onions, peppers and cheese. Also shared the Cuban which was great. Loaded tots were full of bacon and a big quantity. Too full for pies which look wonderful. We got a couple of cookies that were good! Prices were great and we left satisfied.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 22 June 2018

I have tried just about every hot sandwich that Hot Tomato has to offer, and everyone is a winner. Their bakery is excellent.

Date of visit: June 2018