“PHENOMENAL FOOD! ”

Cuisines: Greek
Neighborhood: St Joses
Neighborhood: St Joses
Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

After living in Avalon Park for the past 4 years, we finally made our way into this little hole in the wall restaurant located in the heart of Avalon Park near Publix.

The owner there Mamdou (hopefully I spelled it right) was so friendly and it felt like I was walking in his kitchen. I ordered the Lamb Gyro which was absolutely fantastic! The meat was so tender and melted in my mouth. I ended up getting it with the combo meal, steak fries and a drink for under $7!!!!

This place will definitely become our favorite spot in Orlando and I can only wish I would've walked into that place 4 years ago. Two thumbs way up for the food and service I received there....we can't wait to go back very soon!!!

Date of visit: June 2015
2  Thank SteveRainville99
Write a reviewReviews (24)

Reviewed 11 November 2014

We found Avalon Pockets as a fluke really. A Saturday drive with the dog, and checking out houses and neighborhoods. Located in the tiny "downtown" of purpose built community, Avalon Park, Florida, Avalon Pockets offered good, authentic Greek food on photos in the store's windows. We ran in, grabbed a gyro to share, and enjoyed. It was truly authentic, even off the spite, and very tasty. Off the beaten path, unless you live in this community, it is well worth a drive if you love authentic Greek. The closest other we know of is on the West coast in Tarpon Springs, so this was such a treat.

We returned last weekend (only a week after finding it) and were equally delighted eating in. We each ordered a gyro plate with fries and a drink. Plenty of food and actually we've decided next time, unless we each/one tries something else, we're going to split the plate. Pricing is excellent and "typical" with portions that match.

Avalon Park is a Celebration, Florida "rip off" with homes built around a small downtown. Fewer tourists and we are told easy to get around - for the most part - outside of rush hour or a major event with closes off one street in the downtown. There is parking in the area, on street and in lots. Our 4 visits into this downtown have been uneventful and we've found it to be very quite. Not all the storefronts are occupied and shops haven't attracted so many we couldn't find parking.

Our second visit was eat-in and we enjoyed a lovely hour talking with the owner as we ate and lingered. We will return most certainly. Again, it's the kind of place you have to be looking for, so do check out the map. They indicate on signs they are closed Sundays.

Date of visit: November 2014
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I went here with my family for the first time and found the place to be small but the food and service were great. Once of the best falafel and gyros we have had. The owner is super friendly!

My only complaint is that when you get a lunch special you should be able to get a small salad instead of fries put in their place in the clamshell container where the fries go. Especially since we are going there to eat healthy and should be staying away from fries. Probably the salad is cheaper anyways its mostly lettuce....

Date of visit: August 2014
2  Thank anamergirl
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Best falafel in town, great humus and although the kebab was a little dry the taste and spices were excellent! We drove 15 miles to have lunch here, certainly will do it again!

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We have been here several times and each and every time the food has been outstanding! We drive 30 miles one way just to eat here. Food is always hot, fresh, delicious and served with a smile. The Gyro and Baklava are some of our can't live without choices! Hands down...Best around!