“Wonderful "homecooked" meal.”

Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' Kitchen
Ranked #119 of 4,141 Restaurants in Orlando
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: It doesn't matter where you're from. When you're here, you're home. That's the kind of warm Southern welcome Chef Art Smith has created in his newest restaurant, HOMECOMIN'. It's a great place to duck in from the sun and sip some sweet Southern iced tea or maybe some barrel-aged moonshine. Or gather with friends and enjoy dishes like Chef Art's succulent Fried Chicken, spicy Shrimp and Grits and a slice of his world famous Hummingbird Cake. We are located right in the heart of Disney Springs®!
Reviewed 25 April 2018

My sister and I ate and evening meal here during the Dark Side half marathon weekend. I had the fried chicken sandwich and she had the ribs. We were both very pleased with our selections. Our food was amazing. My sandwich came with homemade chips which were too much for me to eat, but very good. My sister's meal came with mashed potatoes and a corn succotash. This was a pre-race meal so we didn't want to stuff ourselves, so we passed on dessert. Next time, we'll definitely save room for dessert!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

You might as well have huge portions of great food.

Well, I had a funny, long review typed out. The my phone erased it as I was proof reading. I'm going to try to recreate the best parts, but I won't proof this time. Assume that odd words are bad AI spell check.

"Everything was awesome!" said Cathy, my sister-in-law.

This was a family trip to Downtown Disney. (Long live Downtown Diseny! They have changed it into a shopping mall. the Disney charm is gone. The experience is ruined.) Traveling for work has made me an introvert. My dad pointed out that I am used to making decisions when I travel, so going to a less than preferred place with a group and enjoying myself is a lost art. He was not wrong. I was being a snit at being forced to DT Disney. I released a few stress tears as I sat outside of UniqLo. I texted some friend about finding new definition of Hell (at least it was not hot). And, adjusted my attitude.

Frankly, the family only chose Homecoming because I demanded outdoor seating, and this was the only restaurant with 6:30 reservation open on a Marathon weekend Sunday afternoon. (Award winningfried chicken is not something runners was to eat? who knew. Their loss of my victory.)

Bucket list: Eat meL prepared by a James Beard Award Winner. CHECK. Art has won twice!

The Fried Chicken is to die for! (It is good enough to be addictive. If you eat it every day, you will be unhealthy and die happy. Die happy.) ) So Good!

"A", my 11 year old niece ordered the chicken and donuts. We gasped at the $26 price. This is Disney, and she is too old (she thinks) to order kids' meals. Knowing that she would eat two bites of chicken and all the donuts, I decided to split with her.

To say A is a picky eater is now accurate. She is slowly become a picky eater after a decade of eating nothing because she hated everything except chicken nuggets. Picky eating is a happy improvement! She discovered potatoes at Easter. She likes them. While you and I know chicken nuggets are essentially fried chicken, she only started eating it last year. So, I fully expected her to do the normal thing of taking two bites and eating both donuts before declaring herself full. When the plate came, she gave me the small piece and proceeded to DEVOUR a large breast. Like Mikey from the Life commercials, She Likes it!

I ordered the hush puppies. I stopped reading the menu at Pimento Cheese. (Read my Poogan's Porch review for a non-PG review of their Pimento Cheese balls.) I was only disappointed Ted because I thought I was getting fried pimento cheese. Instead, I got delicious, slightly spicy hush puppies the cold cheese and sweet jalapeno jelly. It was a fantastic combination.

I also got the carrot souffle. This was so fluffy and sweetness I'd consider bringing it as a dessert to a potluck. It was amazing. So delicious and light.

Other dishes from the table:

Cathy: Shrimp and Grits. delicious!

Fred: Barbeque plate with mac and cheese. I asked it the barbeque was worth writing about. He answered, "yeah." When I asked for details he said had write his own review - "Good dinner" (look it up.) Now, the Mac and Cheese, that was worth writing about. It came in a crock with a baked cheese lid and had bacon. BACON. So creamy and yummy.

Dad: Barbeque sandwich. "The sandwich had enough meat to justify the Disney price."

Mom: Fish sandwich. "It was huge and delicious."

Nephew: Kids Chicken Fingers. The chicken was good. I know because I ate one when this picky eater declared he was full. The kids mac and cheese is creamy goodness but served on the plate without the baked cheese and bacon.

Do not order the kids' peas and carrots. My mom says if you can't say anything nice... However I already slammed Disney Springs so... They were bland and mushy. I discretely spit them into my napkin.

Garrett the waiter said that being mentioned in my review would not get him a bonus, "but sometimes I get candy." Well, Managers, make a trip over to Goofy's Emporium! His service was the best I've had this month! Yes, I've had some terrible service, but two sweet tea refills magically appeared without my asking!!! He anticipated my need to feed my sweet tea addiction. He was personable, timely, and knowledgeable on the menu and restaurant. (Art was an intern at Disney, and "came home" to open Homecoming. Get it?) Now that my niece is in bed and not critiquing my bad typing, nor complimenting my prose, "Aunt Dena, you should be a food critic." (Then my phone deleted the review - much longer than this one.) I can finally say, Garret is cute and charming! My meal did not have any sauce, so I can't type anything saucier to make Garrett blush. I'll bet he is even more handsome when he blushes. (If he can be made to blush.)

The atmosphere was fantastic. The service was excellent. The food was delicious. The portions were huge. As my dad said, "If you are going to pay Disney prices, this is a good place to eat."

1  Thank TravelingDena
Reviewed 23 April 2018

Glad I live locally so I can come here whenever I want. Been here a few times now and try to pick something new each time. Finally tried their deviled eggs and so worth it!!! But they are known for their fried chicken for good reason.
But our favorites have to be their cocktails with their homemade moonshine. Sooooo good!!!! We usually sit at the bar and can watch them concoct these beauties.
Highly recommend a visit to this place and definitely worth any wait.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

From the menu you will wonder what can be so good. Your just going to have to try it. The quality of the food is excellent. It should be greasy but it’s not. It should be salty but it’s not. It’s just awesome....

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

I LOVED the fried green tomatoes!!! We had all kinds of food and they were my favorite! Everything was delicious and well prepared! The chicken and dumplings soup was just that. It wasn’t the traditional dish that I was expecting! But it was all seasoned well!