“Take a 4-hr charter tour - You’ll LOVE it!”

Native Guides Sanibel-Captiva Charter services
Ranked #10 of 20 Tours in Captiva Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and explore the beauty of Southwest Florida on one of our Fishing / Eco-Charters through the Pine Island Sound and its surrounding areas with a local native at the helm. Owned and operated by Captain John Houston, a Sanibel native, we provide guests the opportunity to create everlasting memories while strolling the waters on the Gulf of Mexico and Old Florida. Captain John is a self-taught naturalist who is passionate about sharing his knowledge of the local ecosystem. He is a fourth-generation Floridian whose unique upbringing has provided him the platform to share his knowledge of the area’s rugged history and events the shaped our area into what it has become today. We offer a variety of charter services including private fishing trips, snorkeling adventures, eco-charters for sightseeing, birding, and shelling. Private lunch tours to waterfront restaurants in the surrounding areas and water-taxi services are also available. Open year-round!
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

My family had a fantastic 4-hr charter with Captain John on a beautiful December day. Wonderfully accommodating from the first call to make a reservation. We didn’t plan on doing much fishing, but my boys enjoyed it so much we spent a great deal of the trip trying to catch dinner! Dolphins repeatedly circled the boat and kept us entertained as my boys kept pulling in the fish (John knew all the right fishing spots). John had all the rods and bait. We even defied the odds when John found a crystal clear spot for some snorkeling (not typical for this time of year). It was COLD but exactly what my son wanted to do. The mere fact that my 12 and 14 yr old boys got along and didn’t fight at all on trip, that makes Captain John a virtual miracle worker in my book!

We ended up with a few sea trout, which John filleted and recommended that we take to the Lazy Flamingo for dinner. We finished the day with our fresh catch fried and grilled with a few beers, followed by a beautiful sunset on the beach across the street.

I highly recommend a charter with Captain John - he’ll take good care of you!

1  Thank Brigett L
in 11 reviews
"hr"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Captain John asked us at the beginning of the trip what our goal was. We told him dinner would be great, but having fun catching fish was the important part. Boy did he deliver. My wife hadn't caught a fish since she was a child. We also invited my cousin and his teenage son who live nearby.

Capt John was very friendly, patient, informative, and instructive with us. My wife was the first one with a line wet and she had her first fish in the boat before us other 3 even had time to get a hook baited. The captain had us on a large school of trout and a few snapper instantly. Nothing huge but it was an excellent start to a fantastic day. Soon we moved up to a shoreline (I won't reveal secrets!) And snook were hitting like crazy. With captain Johns techniques we were reeling in fish with almost every cast while other boats nearby were coming up empty handed. At one point Capt said "you've got 11 minutes before they stop biting". I'll be darned if they didn't stop exactly 11 minutes later. He really does know his stuff.

Since the snook stopped biting we decided to cruise for tarpon. Unfortunately no such luck, but we were all very satisfied if they day had ended right then. But wait! There's more!!

Since there was no tarpon in sight we decided to anchor up and shark fish for the last half hour or so. Wasn't 15 minutes later and the rod bent over. My wife LOVES sharks so we let her take the first one. It was a small (2 foot) black tip. Capt baited the hook back up and casted again. Our time was pretty much up and we were just getting ready to pack up and head to the marina when the line started running. I had never caught a shark before either so I was next up. I grabbed the pole not having any idea what I was up against! I assumed it was another little one but man I was wrong. 30 minutes later we had a 7 foot nurse shark at the side of the boat. It was the catch of a lifetime for me. I firmly believe with out Captain Johns calm clear instructions that I would've lost this fight and left frustrated. He stepped in to help as soon as it was needed but never got in the way or tried to take any of the fight away from me. Never once did he act like we were a bother for making him late for his next tour. We got it close enough to make it an "official" catch and we were on our way to the marina with smiles from ear to ear.

We booked a 5 hour fishing tour and it was probably the best 5 hour stretch I've had in my life. I would not even consider going out with a different guide on our next trip. If you want to get your money's worth then book with captain John.

2  Thank Jacob Z
Reviewed 31 May 2016

We chartered a fishing boat for 4 hours this past weekend. We had the pleasure of going out with Captain Colin on his boat. It was a great time. We caught lots of fish and had an amazing time. Captain Colin is very nice, personable and knowledgeable. He is an absolute professional and I'd definitely go out again with him the next time we are in town. Highly recommend.

Thank Barry E. H
Reviewed 29 April 2016 via mobile

We took a 4-hour trip with Captain John. Our boys, age 13,12 and 7, wanted to try fishing and see some dolphins and manatees. All their wishes were fulfilled! This is their first time trying fishing. John found a good spot and taught the boys how to fish, and made sure they all caught a few fish. The boys were ecstatic! Then he took us to a spot where there were a lot of manatees just hanging out. not only we watched them closely, but also able to touch one really friendly one that swam up to the boat. We were in heaven. We definitely recommend them very highly to everyone and will book with them again when we come back!

1  Thank May L