“Absolutely amazing food and Lauren was a great server!”

Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Enjoy a delicious fresh Florida seafood meal inside the quaint dining room, on the outdoor covered deck or under the ancient Buttonwood Trees overlooking picturesque Sarasota Bay. Farm to fork, gulf to table and pasture to plate. It's waterfront dining with a unique atmosphere. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit. Voted #1 place to Dock and Dine with our own private 14 slip dock. There is no place quite like the Mar Vista for real Florida dining.
Reviewed 18 August 2018

We went to Mar Vista the weekend of August 11th after wanting to go there for a long time. The menu is so different from other places and the food amazing. Pumpkin coated cauliflower was the veggie! Delicious and I don't like cauliflower!! Had the potato crusted scallops as well as the fish dip platter....so good! Lauren, our waitress, was wonderful and helped us decide what to have, describing portions and sizes of the meal, the spices (or not) and was so efficient.The view is wonderful, right on the water with a little beach and docks where we could arrive by boat and take a stroll in the twilight. LIttle twinkly lights in the beautiful old, winding trees. The menu is NOT cheap, but the food was worth it! I thought the drinks were expensive...$10.00 for a Bloody Mary was a bit much as the "house" liquor was premium brand. A very wide selection of unusual bottled beers. They are doing some construction on the building itself but it doesn't interfere with the service or food. Such a shame that the horrible red tide has affected the area restaurants, but this one is not on the Gulf itself and we were not affected by the red tide odor and the water looked fine (of course environmental destruction is just FAKE NEWS!!). The smell was very noticable when we crossed the bridge onto Longboat Key, but once we turned towards Mar Vista it was gone. This would be a great place for a special evening...although there were families with kids....and also for drinks and appetizers after being out on the boat. Will return soon!

2  Thank Saintaugiedoggie
Guest S, General Manager at Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for looking past the news and taking a chance to come out to Mar Vista. While there are red tide conditions around, we have been very lucky and I am so glad that you took the chance and were rewarded with a beautiful red tide free view. I am glad that you were pleased with the menu and the meal. I hope to see you again soon.
Anthony Cucci, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

Was recommend by some local friends and really worthwhile to visit. Very friendly service. Excellent sea food and a wonderful bay view. Mostly outside seating and a few tables inside. Still some refurbishing going on but did not impact the stay. Be aware about the bugs under the trees and prepare accordingly else it’s gonna be a little unpleasant. In August this year the restaurant has a challenge with the red tide and dead fish washed onto the little beach behind the restaurant. They told they can’t get away all the dead fish as the flood brings them all back again. So please support them despite the fact of a little smell outside. They are not responsible for this tragedy but have to pay the price.

2  Thank bigdig2001
Guest S, General Manager at Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Thank you for the visit and the understanding. The issues with the water in and around Southwest Florida have been tragic and hopefully an eye opener for those in government to address in years to come. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a meal with us and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Mar Vista has become one of our go to places in Sarasota since the closing of Moore's Stone Crab. You can get there by boat or car and they've built a large new dock so there is plenty of dock space. Great for lunch or dinner and there is no better place to sit outside under the trees with a gorgeous view of Sarasota Bay to the south. Try the seafood specials they have on the menu from time to time. Always fresh fish creatively prepared. If they have it try the Lion fish. Poisonous barbs which are easily removed, but delectable flesh. And obviously great Stone Crab in season.

1  Thank 73randallw

Thank you for the visits over the years. I am glad to hear that we have been able to be a go to place for you for a great dinner out. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

This is one of our favorite casual restaurants and one of our favorite waitresses is Lauren who did a terrific job last Friday evening serving us outdoors right at water's edge. Carole & Terry

1  Thank Terrysail

Thank you Carole and Terry. I am glad that you enjoy your time with us at Mar Vista. I hope that you will continue to join us as we complete the renovations to the inside dining area. I am glad that Lauren did a great job and I will make sure to pass your comments along.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We last visited this restaurant 2 years ago when it was a building site, 2 years latter part of the restaurant is still fenced off as a family of 9 we sat inside as they could not seat us all together outside and inside is not great, the server was okay however the food was for the price just average no side salads with the steaks and portions were very small. The drinks were just plain bad we had to send them back twice and still they were not correct in fact the server would not take the so called ginger beer back for a third time when we commented it was just carbonated water saying it came from the ginger beer tap well that’s okay then, they did not charge however when challenged.
Will not visit again my acid test is could I have cooked better and the answer is yes and for a third of the price

Andrew,
Thank you for coming back to Mar Vista. I am sorry that your recent visit was not up to our standards. I understand that the renewed construction on the property is difficult and we do apologize for that. I am sorry that we were not able to give you the positive experience that we strive for with all of our guests. I hope that in the future, you will give us another try.