“Overpriced and disappointing”

Paradiso Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Paradiso Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 295 Restaurants in Lake Worth
Price range: US$20 - US$120
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2008

We visited Paradiso on a recommendation from a waiter at Cafe' Boulud, another 5-star establishment in West Pam Beach owned by renowned Chef Daniel Boulud of NYC "Daniel" fame.

We were extremely disappointed with Paradiso. To begin with, my first choice for an entre ("Filetto con Fegato Grasso e Barolo" or Pan seared Filet Mignon, Goose Liver and Barolo Wine Sauce) was not available. After revisiting the menu, I was informed that my second choice (Dentice al Sale, or Whole Yellow tail Snapper Baked in Sea Salt) was also sold out!

I settled for grilled calamari and octopus as a starter ($18), and linguine alle vongole as the main ($18). My wife had a yellowfin seared tuna (also $18), and clam linguine as well.

The grilled calamari was extremely tough and way overcooked, it was leather-like and inedible. The octopus was barely better, but the whole grilled dish was charred and bitter. When I informed the waiter of the situation, he smiled and hinted that "yes, but isn't the octopus just delicious?". No attempt was made to acknowledge the issue, never mind remedy it.

My lingune with clams was insipid, dry, and quite tasteless. My wife's linguine was saucier, but felt that the liquid tasted as though it came from a can.

The only saving grace was the wine (a Napa Cab Sauv) and the dessert, a ricotta and pinoli cheesecake.

Service was average, but the bill for 4 people (we had company with us with similarly disappointing choices), including two bottles of wine at $65 each ($15-20 retail), came close to $400.

We don't understand the raving reviews this place has garnered, but judging from our experience, we cannot recommend this restaurant to anybody.

8  Thank Maurizio_and_Jill

Reviewed 10 March 2008

Whilst visiting Lake Worth, booked Paradiso for a special Valentines Day meal.

Due to Valentines day, the menu appeared to be more limited, but the food was good, if expensive.

When I visited about 3 years ago, I think it was somewhat smaller, and I definitely felt the service, whilst a bit stuffy, was of a high standard and the food was good.

This time, the service was still stuffy, but also disinterested.

On paying the pricey bill - I found that they had recorded a bottle of wine $20 more than the one we had chosen. This was altered, but with little apology. If this were my restaurant, I would have been effusive in my apology and offered a free drink. At these prices, they would do well to take a lead from the large retailer Tesco in the UK, who, if you find a billing error, refund you and give you the item free. This way, you know they are never intentionally trying to add profit.

Net is, good food, pricey, stuffy service and check your bill.

2  Thank PaulTR
Reviewed 27 June 2007

Paradiso is quite simply outstanding. I have been there for lunch, dinner, special wine club dinners, and special events including a wonderful wedding rehearsal dinner. Expect great service, and often attention from Angelo the owner and "master chef". The food is excellent, notably the chestnut, sausage and
cranberry risotto, the dover sole.... and the caesar salad is
my 89 year old mother's favorite ever! The pasta and sea food have never disappointed! The wine list is extensive, but favors interesting (both taste and price) Italian wines - as appropriate.
There is a very nice "wine room", an attractive bar, and the dessert display is great. The gelato is excellent, but try the
small pastry tray, if offered. Well, really, order a souffle (especially if lemoncello is offered, but the Grand Marnier is "grand" enough indeed)
As I said, a large catered event there was superb and
handled professionally at every step. I never go to Palm Beach-
Boca Raton or Lake Worth without a stop - or several - at Paradiso.

Reviewed 30 April 2007

My husband and I ate here for the first time for our anniversary on 4/28/07. It was such an incredible evening! It is expensive, but well worth the money. We chose to try the prefix menu with the wine pairing. We could not have been more impressed. Each course was paired perfectly with a wine. The amount of food served was perfect and they even deboned the fish at the table, which we have only seen in Italy! The service was excellent and the wine maitre'd even gave us a tour of the wine cellar before we left. I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who truly enjoys amazing food and wine!

Reviewed 12 December 2006

The winelist was incredibe, striped bass, and dover sole was deboned tableside all the staff were very attentive the owner came to visit our table to say hi. Last but not least the decor was beautiful. There is a big painting in the one room and big wine cellar in the other. I almost forgot about the desserts they are displayed in the front window when you walk in.

Ala

P.S. My next trip to Lake Worth will definitely include Paradiso.

1  Thank Savits