“Fishing with Captain Jeff Knapp”

Tarpon Fishing Charters - Captain Jeff Knapp
Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

One thing on my bucket list was to catch a tarpon so we booked a fishing trip with Capt. Knapp. After a very long 4 min boat ride we caught a barracuda and a shark. This angered our Captain so we moved to the 7 Mile Bridge. He knows exactly where the tarpon are. I think he even knows their first names!! We immediately hooked up and had a fight of a lifetime. If you want a great, knowledgeable and hard working Captain that will give you a fish of a lifetime, I cannot recommend Capt. Knapp highly enough!

Sincerely a very happy man,
Marty Pritchard

in 3 reviews
"capt"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 14 April 2017

I had been advised by another charter that I was too early for tarpon. 70lb (pictured - day), 90lb and 100lb (pictured - night) proved them wrong. Fortunately we were staying at Captain Pips, and were advised by the barman at Porky's to speak to Jeff who docks there.
Having never fished for tarpon before, I was more than happy to catch three out of fifteen strikes, baring in mind I was using my own gear.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Had a great trip with Jeff - my teenage son hooked Tarpon and pulled in huge Jack while Jeff talked him through his technique. Glad we went with him instead of a huge tour boat - my son is still smiling ! Highly recommend and next time we are in Marathon we will go out again .

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We chartered for the first time with Jeff Knapp while we were visiting Marathon Key. We chose Tarpon fishing because we heard how much fun and how challenging it can be because of the feisty nature of Tarpon. Problem is....we didn't hook a single Tarpon from 5pm to 10pm! We did however catch one barracuda and one other small fish. Some of the old salty local fisherman were saying that if you wanted to catch Tarpon at this time of year, that we needed to go to Bahia Honda. After an hour of nothing, I mentioned this to Jeff, but he scoffed at the idea and said we would get plenty of hits at Seven Mile bridge where we were fishing. I quickly realized that he didn't want to go that far because it cuts into his profits. We were nearly within casting distance of the boat dock where we met him. His launch point being right next to Seven Mile bridge and his desire to fish that area are not a coincidence. Five hours, two fish, NO TARPON! And our discount for five hours of zilch....$450 instead of $500! Wow! How very thoughtful to discount a service not provided. Given, as with any charter, there is a chance of not catching anything. However, if you specialize in catching a specific type of fish, you should probably deliver or go broke for the day. Just my opinion on the matter. Might want to listen to the old salty bait shop owners as well.

3  Thank Jared C