“Beginner Divers”

Tilden's Scuba Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Full service training, charter, repair, hydro and retail scuba center. We start classes daily to fit your vacation plans. Scuba, SNUBA, Snorkeling, Spearfishing, Lobstering, Air/Nitrox Fills, Rentals, Retail and Repair...we have it all. No experience needed to breath underwater. We offer one day resort courses and SNUBA starting at age 8 yrs+. Class sizes are very small as we book your classes on demand. Over 30 reefs to dive from Sombrero to Coffins Patch. Night dives and our amazing Thunderbolt wreck Dive are available at your request. Stop in and meet the crew. We’d love to help you explore Marathon above and below our gorgeous water.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Marathon/Tilden's Scuba Center is alive and well.
My son and I recently completed our certification there. The instructors were great, as was the entire staff.
Wendy, the owner was hands on from start to finish.
Great experience!

in 11 reviews
"captain and crew"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I booked a morning snuba diving session with Tilden's, and it was fantanstic!! It is our first time, and the whole morning went so smoothly. We've got very good equipment that fit perfectly, and snuba dived at two sites, which both are beautiful with loads of fishes. Would recommend this definitely!!

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Beware when booking a dive trip with Tilden’s. I am not dive certified & booked a scuba trip but I failed the pool test. Instructor (Cody) explained that I could not scuba dive because of safety which I totally understand. Cody is a very good instructor but due to me not being able to handle water going up my nose I failed. Cody explained that I could snorkel instead.

I asked Wendy (either Manager or Owner) if I would be charged the full amount for scuba diving since I could not pass the pool certification. Wendy said, I would be charged the full amount.

My recommendation is the cost be broken up into two parts because it is not fair for the client to pay for a scuba trip when they fail the test. One cost associated with the pool training and the second cost for the actual scuba trip. I ended up paying $250 to snorkel instead of scuba diving. Another alternative would be to offer the Snuba option instead of limiting the customer to a $250 snorkel trip.

Go2beaches2, Public Relations Manager at Tilden's Scuba Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Lisa,
We can’t predict that students taking the discover scuba course will not be able to complete the skills. It does happen occasionally, however at Tildens we spend 4 hours prior to your boat trip preparing you for the open water. This is a very long discover class as most worldwide cut this to an hour. If we didn’t reserve your spots as divers in the boat, we usually wouldn’t have space available for you. Please note, there were only 4 customers on your trip and 3 crew members to service you. We cancelled SNUBA that afternoon due to wind conditions. The conditions for diving were beautiful and we are sorry that your buddy chose not to participate.
To clarify you did not spend$250 to go snorkeling. You had a very thorough 5 hours with Cody in class/pool prior to the boat (he spent extra time with you) and an additional 4 hours with Cody and 2 more crew members on a beautiful almost private Reef trip.
It is our goal to provide you with the best time in a safe environment . We are sorry you didn’t feel that you got your value. As we discussed on the boat, the mask skills that seemed difficult in one class may come to you over time. Sure hope to see you breathing underwater in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

I am an experienced diver and wanted to take my daughter, who just got certified last year, to the Keys for her first ocean dive. I really wanted the experience to be special so that she would share my passion for scuba. The group at Tilden's took great care of us and went out of their way to make it special for her. Their advice was invaluable in making sure we were comfortable and Wendy really went beyond expectations by leading my daughter on a dive and pointing out all the local fauna. Thanks to her, I think my daughter may be a diver for life - thanks to the Tilden's team.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 March 2018

I stayed in Marathon the last week of Feb 2018 and scheduled 2 afternoons of diving with Tilden's. The second afternoon I brought 3 family members who wanted to snorkel so we got to experience the majority of what Tilden's offers. They even had some folks doing Snuba the second day, but we didn't participate in that.

From a diving perspective they took me to 4 different dive sites; Sombrero East & West, Coffin's Patch, and Elbow. I actually thought it was super nice for them to try to bring me to different places than I had been on my first afternoon.

The staff (Captain Billy, Harley, and Zach) were all super nice and very helpful. Even the folks back at the store were awesome. It was actually why I chose Tilden's over other places in Marathon. I just got a good vibe on the phone and it held true while I was there. I even had an incident with my BCD where it started leaking after my first of 2 dives the first day out and when we got back I asked the shop to take a look at it before my next dive a couple days later. You could tell they were busy, but took it no problem. Turns out the O ring was shot and they replaced it for me. What blew me away though was that they didn't even charge me for it. Really just amazing!

The other thing that was unique was that they let me leave my wetsuit and BC in their storage area to dry. When I dive at home I have a container to transport my stuff, but while traveling, not so much. The last thing I wanted to do was throw all my wet stuff in my rental car and so that was a huge help too.

As for the dives, I had a lot of fun. The water vis could have been better, but at 25 feet or so it wasn't bad. We saw a lot of fish, Moray Eels, a sea turtle, and more. The snorkelers saw even more big stuff on the second day. I think they could see a little farther from up there. I would absolutely go back out with Tilden's if/when I go back to the Keys.

The only caveat I would give others is that their boat, like many of the other shops in the area (because we saw them anchored near us), isn't very big. So if it's Windy the waves to rock it pretty good. I had a sea sickness patch and was fine but 1 person did get sick on the first day. The second day was smooth with not much wind and everyone was good.