“Our last night with our sister and her family visiting from England”
Review of Salt Rock Grill

Salt Rock Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt Rock Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This beach landmark is legendary, and it’s still on fire with a burning passion for delectable food, enticing drink and pleasurable surroundings. For an evening of fine dining, elegant atmosphere, superior service and genuine hospitality, Salt Rock Grill is your destination.Come by land or sea and enjoy the finest dining location in Tampa Bay.St. Petersburg Times–"The first modern surf and turf joint on the beaches still packs them in with red-hot, straight-ahead cooking. Steaks are first-rate, lobsters monstrous, wine cellar deep, seafood and fish souped up in spicy broth. The unexpected treats are root vegetables, lentils and smart spicing"
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We decided to take my sister to Salt Rock Grill for our last meal of this trip she's never been before and we're never disappointed with this place. We arrived on time and were taken to a table in the room to the left of the bar area, I asked for another table as I wanted it to feel special and that room isn't. We were relocated to a table by the windows overlooking the water, so much better even though it was dark.

This place is so nice, the atmosphere is always perfect, it's always busy and the food never disappoints. My sister and her husband had steak dinners, my wife cedar plank salmon, our niece had chicken and I had the Soft Shell Crab. They all came with salad which is always tasty and we enjoyed it with some cocktails. We ordered a reasonably priced bottle of wine for dinner that we've had there before and it's good value.

Our food was hot, cooked to perfection and we enjoyed a really good evening. The only food that wasn't perfect was the chicken, it was just a little bland but our niece also didn't want the mushroom sauce that it came with. This place is so good and it's less than 5 miles from home. We look forward to any special occasion to come back and visit.

BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Salt Rock Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We appreciate your detailed feedback! We look forward to having you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Salt Rock Grill

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited the Salt Rock last evening with party of six. Family of four visiting from Chicago and two of us, now locals living in Gulfport. The reservation was handled efficiently made several days in advance. Upon arriving for an early dinner at 5pm we were seated promptly and soon greeted by Kevin (Our server) as our guest arrived. So far, everything was fine. Incidentally, because of the early hour, we self parked, almost at the door.
The menu is extensive with multiple printed sheets including the "early bird" selections. Kevin answered questions and explained many of the menu choices and took drink orders. Most of our party ordered off the "early bird". The food was delivered in a reasonable time. Here is where the disappointments began.. most of our party started with the Caesar Salad. The salad was embarrasing, dry lettuce one layer deep with three croutons on a very small plate. Kevin proceeded around the table offering 'ground pepper' but had to be very quick so as not to quickly over power the few lettuce leaves on the plate. Drinks were served including my unsweetened ice tea. Soon the entrees arrived and were served by other staff. I ordered the "fish kabob with baked potato. I was told before hand that would be about 3 ounces of fish (Grouper). There were three tiny pieces on the skewer along with a baked potato about the size of a tennis ball. The plates were not garnished or in any way decorated to enhance the appearance. My partner had ordered a stuffed salmon dish which she later described as tasteless and "tiny." I really didn't notice what others were eating. The "early bird" included dessert, so soon after our dinner plates were cleared, "Tiny" little cups were delivered and placed in front of each person. The cups contained the same unidentifiable concoction of "something" ? We were never asked if anyone actually wanted these little surprises. They were obviously put down quickly to fulfill the menu inclusion of dessert. At this point, one got the impression we were at a low end catered wedding.. the only thing missing was the "Chicken a la King". Even at a catered Chamber of Commerce Dinner, I would be offered fresh iced tea.. but not here, at the "early bird". To my knowledge, we were never thanked for dining and ignored once the check was presented. All in all, having dined all around the Tampa Bay area, the Salt Rock is now off my future list. They must cater to a "drinking crowd" and tourists.. who really enjoy the view more than the food. Of course, this restaurant obviously does not want to offer an "Early Bird" menu and would be well advised just to remove it, rather than serve a mediocre meal, regardless of the price. Upon leaving the dining area, I could not help but notice the "poor" display of chilled meats/fish in a prominent case. I say poor because the case was nearly empty with a pathetic display of food. Instead of an abundant display of seasonal iced fish and seafood with some lobsters, crabs and shellfish of all varieties, it contained I think... a couple of pieces something (Un-appealing ). The foyer area did not smell fresh or inviting, but rather had a heavy smoke odor. The staff, are all neat and well uniformed and the restaurant as a whole was clean. The valet parking (complimentary) would be a good touch at most hours. Having dined at the Salt Rock before on a couple of occasions, I was always seated outdoors on the deck at lunch with an ordinary experience. Last evening it would have been far too hot to sit on the deck.
So, I hope this helps others... We will stay in Gulfport where the restaurants are abundant, the sea food plentiful and fresh, the prices reasonable with ambiance and service good. The Tampa Bay area is loaded with good, attractive restaurants and we enthusiastically suggest downtown / waterfront St. Petersburg for fun dining.

2  Thank gpizzy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your honest opinions. Our owner Frank Chivas would like the opportunity to speak with you direct regarding your unpleasant experience. He has asked that you connect with him via cell or email (whichever you prefer) - he can be reached at 727-480-6704 or frank@tbi.net - Thank you in advance!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Had not eaten here in 10 years when it was a favorite then for evening dining! Still a top restaurant in the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area. Marvelous appetizers and entree selections. Had incredible crab cakes and friend had marvelous grouper. Excellent service and great presentation. Will head there again on future trips to that part of Florida!

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back!

Reviewed August 16, 2017

This place is amazing! He and his girlfriend drove from Sarasota to take me out for dinner, and I was blown away the place was great.The food was amazing. There were six of us. I just stayed down the street this past week and had plans on going but we went hard rock. I will go back.

Reviewed August 15, 2017

I went for dinner with my 17 year old daughter who is very picky. We sat outside and enjoyed the breeze from the Intercoastal. She ordered the Tuna appetizer- it was the best I have ever had!