“Good food, ruined by very loud night club music”

Original American Kitchen
Ranked #93 of 551 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Description: Original American Kitchen (OAK) serves tasty American dishes for daily lunch/dinner and weekend brunches. Our menu has seasonal changes and a variety of classic dishes as well as our own twist on home cooked meals. Pair those with our delicious homemade cocktails, large variety of bourbons & whiskey, and our 16-tap craft beer wall you are guaranteed to have a good time with the charm of the south.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was a nice restaurant with good food. However the music was very loud and got louder during the evening. This was on top of the very loud conversations from the other tables. At 6:30 they were playing loud soft pop music, but by 7:30 they had moved onto very loud dance club music-- as in " Rock the Casbah". We actually had to yell at the servers to get our check. I think this place must only be for the college students, not anyone over 25.

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (111)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went to oak this past weekend and had the best time! I enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, and the company. When we got there and put our name on the list the hostess was very friendly and accurate about our short wait time. The restaurant was very clean and followed safe covid procedures. You had to wear a mask when you entered and some of the tables were left open. The service was very consistent and we did not have to wait too long for food. When the food came out it was nice and warm and looked very presentable. It tasted just as good as it looked! Overall, I had the best experience.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 24 January 2021 via mobile

Just stopped in for quick drink, waiting on others to arrive, ended up stay a while on their outdoor patio. Bartenders and staff made it an easy decision to hang a little longer. Great selections from the bar for everyone to choose from.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 24 December 2020 via mobile

We ate here for an early dinner hoping for good distancing. We got our wish & was only table near back of restaurant. We were greeted warmly. We decided to have drinks celebrating a graduation. Drinks were made perfectly. 1 of the group of 5 had draft beer & was very happy with choice. Everyone ordered something different and all very happy with our choices. We had a delicious strip steak with sweet potato fries. Another had a N.Y. Strip steak & baked potato. Another had ribs & another had a salad. All yummy. The only item that was bit off was the pretzel dip. With the big bowl of dip there really should be 2 pretzels not just 1! While the meal portions good size the appetizer certainly was not. We had a good evening not having to worry about crowded restaurant. The service was excellent!! They did have outside seating too but we felt a bit crowded. Our back corner table was perfect for us. They did have the doors open to the outside.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank 752ruthy
Reviewed 17 May 2020

My daughter and I stopped here while having a girls day of country fun in Alachua County. We actually found it on a Google search of places nearby, and are so happy we did. While I've eaten in many places in Gainesville, this little area was new to me...very trendy and relaxed but I am sure it is bustling at times as it is smack in the middle of the University of Florida area. This is the first full week most places in FL have been open due to COVID-19, and the first restaurant we had been to in two months. Happy to say every employee wore a mask! The place is sort of half and half outdoorsy with the entire front of the place able to open up, which it was today, and probably stay closed in cooler times. We were seated a good 12 feet from the next group of patrons. The menu, at 2pm on Saturday, was brunchlike. We had "breakfast burgers" but without the fried egg. IT WAS PROBABLY THE BEST TASTING BURGER I HAVE EVER HAD! I thought, no way will I eat this whole thing, it was a half pound, but I did! It was HOT, very juicy and the meat was outstanding. Our adorable waitress, Elizabeth (who was attentive and so pleasant and a Senior who had just graduated UF without the opportunity of "walking" which broke my heart), said it was several types of steak ground up. The waffle fries were crispy, tasty and delicious and so plentiful we had to take them home.Rest room was very clean and we felt safe in this establishment for our first time venturing out since early March. I'm in Gainesville several times a year and this will be my new go-to place. Thank you, Elizabeth, for making our girls day out just a little bit more perfect.

Date of visit: May 2020