“Overpriced and slow service...”
Review of Le Clos

Le Clos
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had been to Le Clos once before—in February of 2017—And had a wonderful meal. But it was evident last night that they were totally unprepared for the crowd that hit them. The room was filled to capacity and the noise was overwhelming. My friend ordered the special—halibut—and I ordered the duck breast. It took at least 30 minutes to get a piece—one piece!— of bread and another 30 minutes to get our salads and then our food. My friend’s piece of halibut was small and over cooked and my duck breast was covered in a gloppy gravy. The mashed potatoes that came with each were thin and runny. The wine was good—and at $14 for my glass of Pouilly Fuisse, I would have expected no less—and the creme brûlée was excellent. But the tab—at $90-plus for each of us—was just excessive for what we got. The ambiance of the place is nice, but the food and the service need work. Not a good value, and not going back.

3  Thank Nancy B

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Made reservations on rather short notice [2 days].Asked for 6:30 PM, but settled for 6:15. Not a big deal. Informed them it was our 52 wedding anniversary. They asked if I wanted them to acknowledge this and I said "OK". Seating was prompt. Table for 2 by a side window. Spouse had a glass of wine and I asked for a sparkling water. I received a whole 1 liter bottle. Spouse and I each had a starter and split a small Caesar salad. Salad was great. Spouse had the seafood special and I had the scallops. Both were very good. We passed on dessert. I think the spouse had 1 coffee. I worked on the fizzy water.Server was very attentive, but because of the way the tables were arranged, the servers had to walk the entire length of the restaurant AND back to get to our table in a corner near the kitchen.Total came to just over $100. Maybe a bit pricey.
Biggest complaint was the noise level. Of course we were seated next to a party of 6. I think some well placed drapes or curtains on some walls would do a lot to alleviate this problem. I finally wound up taking my hearing aids out to cut down on some of the noise.Would have rate it 4*, except for the noise.
P.S. Anniversary never acknowledged.

1  Thank flyplayne
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Enjoyed a pleasant evening at Le Clos with chilled vichyssoise,fabulous flounder, and creme brûlée . Reasonably priced for fine dining in charming old home in Fernandina historic district.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I went to Le Clos on the recommendation of a close friend. He had eaten there three years ago. The restaurant has been around for 23 years. We could tell it was popular with return customers by the way they were greeted when they arrived. We were very excited to go and very disappointed by the time we left. We ordered the steak and fries, which was good, and the special fish of the day, which was cod. It was unfortunately pretty bad. A very small piece with a butter cream sauce over mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were possibly the worst I've ever had. They tasted like they were made with water. Didn't even eat them. Our server raved about the Caesar salad. It was just a Caesar salad. We also had a wonderful bottle of Sancere wine and there was one glass left in the bottle. My husband ordered a glass of red wine to drink as he finished his steak and our server poured it into the glass he had been drinking the Sancere from. We were so surprised and just looked at each other. No new/clean glass for the red wine. This hadn't happened to us in years. We won't be going back.

1  Thank delospoppy
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This restaurant in downtown Fernandina Beach is apparently everyone's favorite as it is always busy. I have notice that restaurant with high turn over and limited menus are the best and Le Clos is right in there with them.