“Tasty freshness”

Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Good Mexican food. I know it's going to be freshly prepared with hints of cilantro or mole spice sauce. Yumm. But skip the tasteless sangria...have a beer instead.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Wife and I decided to spend the evening in downtown DeLand, which is a wonderful place. Most of the buildings date from about 1880 or so. Parking is easy on the side streets, or there are 2 big lots by the Athens theater. Also one behind the big Bank of America. We decided to order from the tapas menu. She got the empanadas (2 chicken and 2 cheese) and I ordered the ropa vieja rounds (you get 4). We then just shared. The sangrias were 2 for 1, so that was a no-brainer too. Everything was just right - portions were enough to fill us up without being bloated, and we didn't want any leftovers to carry around town afterwards. The server was very helpful answering our questions, as it was our first visit. Atmosphere is lively but not too loud. The also have a bunch of art on the walls for sale. Several years ago, students from Stetson's marketing department helped this place with a makeover, and it turned out great. They have beer and wine, not a full bar, but the sangria is excellent and I don't even like wine. Outside seating too.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We came here with our family to have an early dinner. We order an appetizer and discovered several long black hairs were on top of the food. We pointed it out to our waitress who took the food back to the kitchen. She returned with a new appetizer once our entrees had already been served and we were nearly done with dinner. I was a little shocked that we were charged for the hairy appetizer on our bill. Most restaurants I've been to would remove it from the bill. Waitress was not very attentive and seemed very immature. There was mold on the ceiling where we were sitting and water was dripping down on our table where we sat. I've been here many times, it used to be a nice place to dine. It looks very unclean lately and service is not what it used to be.

1  Thank Amio_Persio
Manny D, Owner at De La Vega Restaurante y Galeria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Amio,

I apologize for having such a bad experience at our restaurant and I kindly thank you for your feedback. We are sorry we ruined your family reunion. We are always willing to learn from our mistakes so we can improve our product and service. I am a bit surprised and disappointed. The reason for my disappointment is because some procedures have been put in place to avoid such issues, for example, we usually have a food expidator/ food runner who is trained to inspect the food before it goes out to the customer. I would assume they would have been able to spot several long black hairs on your plate before delivering it to your table. We also have a procedure (like most restaurants) to void and to do not charge for meals that do not meet customer expectations, so I am surprised you got charged for it. As far as the mold and the water leaking, we have an employee that inspects our old building weekly to spot these problems, I am also surprised we have missed that. I even walked the floor myself the day after you wrote this review. And lastly, most of my serving staff has been with us for more than 3 years. I am surprised they showed the behaviors you described. Could you provide more details on who your server was? Did you happen to catch her name? Or can you provide the day and time of your visit? We can certainly coach your waitress to modify behaviors if they seem immature and unattentive. Of course, I take full responsibility for the situation you experienced and if there is a way I can motivate you to give us another try, please let me know. It is hard to see a customer go for issues that could easily be resolved although I don't blame you. If you can provide more details that would help us improve these issues, I will really appreciate it. Respectfully, Manny De La Vega.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

DH and I came to eat before going to the Athens Theatre and we were so glad that we did. I had called that morning to make a reservation and we were really happy with the table we received in the front, near the windows. Our hostess was friendly and our server Erica was wonderful! She was friendly, attentive and courteous. We ordered 4 tapas to share! The empanadas were delicious! We couldn’t decide which to get so we got half with chorizo and half with cheese! The second one we ordered was Ropa Vieja Rounds - they were Amazing! The Avocados Rellenos (filled with shrimp) were great. The last one we ordered was taquiza de camaron which was succulent, flavorful and savory. YUM!!! we ordered a flan too. The food all came out at once except for the dessert . We LOVE eating here! We’ll definitely return! Give them a try! They have tables outside too if you prefer.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

My husband and I visited , thinking the food items would be like every where else. No! The tacos are huge and everything else is also for the hunger man. Prices are very moderate, servers very friendly, restaurant clean , spacious.. Their HOT sauce oh yes a must. I was happy to find a great Mexican Restaurant close to home.