“If you are from Texas, skip this one”

Spotted Donkey Cantina
Reserve a table
Thu, 15/04
20:00
Ranked #29 of 675 Restaurants in Clearwater
Neighborhood: Clearwater Beach
Neighborhood: Clearwater Beach
Reviewed 11 March 2021

Look, if you’re from Kansas or Wisconsin or somewhere, you might like the food here. If you’re from Texas, don’t bother. This is not Mexican or TexMex. The staff was nice; the service was efficient (Kory was especially on top of things), but the shrimp “fajitas” were subpar, and the burrito thing my daughter got was tasty, but not in a Mexican way.

Date of visit: March 2021
PinkAMktg, Marketing at Spotted Donkey Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2021

Thank you for your feedback Rebecca. We are very sorry your experience was less than you expected. We will be sure to share your input with our mgt team for review.

Write a reviewReviews (419)

Reviewed 23 February 2021

I've had great authentic Mexican food and I wasn't expecting it here but this feel very short of my expectations. We called ahead for 8 people and the person the phone was clueless. Wouldn't take the reservation because we should have no issue finding a table. However when we arrived we had to wait outside in the cold (Covid rules) for 15 minutes because they had to find a setup for us. Not upset about waiting outside but why wouldn't the person on the phone take the reservation so we didn't have to wait. I was looking forward to having a Mexican meal but the food is not good at all. VERY bland and several of our dishes were room temp. Had a forkful of beans and found a hair. I didn't complain because they weren't good anyway. My enchiladas were not hot and sauce had little flavor. The queso had a funny smell and no one at our table wanted to finish it. Service from the waitress was good and the drinks were fine. I would not visit this place again

Date of visit: February 2021
PinkAMktg, Marketing at Spotted Donkey Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2021

We are very sorry for this experience you had. Please know we will be sure to forward your comments to our mgt team and Chef for review. Again our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 15 January 2021

We were staying at the Hilton and got in so late that we didn't feel like looking far for dinner. We were able to get right in, despite a fair sized crowd. There seemed to be a lot of tables outside available, but we were sat inside, in the far left corner of the restaurant. We were tucked away so well that our server never came over to us.

After almost 15 minutes, I went to the hostess to ask if they knew we were sitting and she sent someone over. This server was a hot mess the entire night. Took forever to come over and take our drink order. Someone else brought out our appetizer of guacamole and chips (the guac did not look fresh - had an obvious scoop mark that told us it was batched and just plopped into a dish upon ordering) Our food runner had to get us forks and napkins. He also got us more chips. When our server came back to take our food order, she wrote it down, but came back because she forgot something. (She actually didn't, just thought she did. I'm not sure why - 3 people, 3 plates ordered.) That's the last time I saw her.

And that's only because there was a table nearby with a family of 3 where the woman was absolutely HACKING away. I really hoped she was a smoker, because if not then she needs to get tested asap. It was so disgusting and frequent that I left. My husband literally encouraged me to go because my anxiety was so elevated from this lady.

The entire time I was there, the table next to us was covered with dirty dishes and not cleared until just before I left.

There seemed to be ample waitstaff for the amount of tables taken up, so I don't really know the issue. I CAN say that our server should find another profession, because service industry is not a good fit, based on her performance that night.

2  Thank mchelle77
PinkAMktg, Marketing at Spotted Donkey Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2021

We are so very sorry for your frustrating experience. Please know we will forward your comments to our mgt team for review. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your input. Again our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 26 December 2020 via mobile

We ate here for Christmas dinner and were very impressed with the service. Everyone was very attentive and friendly. The chips and salsa were filling, but a little mild for our taste. The entrees were alright, not a ton of flavor or spice. The portions are smaller, but served in an appealing, modern way. While I appreciate that everything was not slathered in cheese and sour cream, the flavors just didn’t pop for us. My carne asada was smaller and wasn’t the usual cut of steak. I wish they served beans and rice instead of the cheesy potato things. We’re Mexican fanatics and this was a typical, gentrified Mexican food place; fancy, a little pricey, but solid.

2  Thank Darthharvey
PinkAMktg, Marketing at Spotted Donkey Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2020

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback. We appreciate you spending the holiday with us. We certainly apologize for any shortcomings you encountered. We will be sure to share your input with our team and use it to improve going forward. Happy New Year.

Reviewed 7 December 2020

We used Trip Advisor to find this place and used the reviews. At first, we were going to do carry out and the staff was very accommodating but decided to eat there. The waiter we thought was ok. Then we heard the waitress several tables over. Our waiter was less than stellar comparing the two. First, you don't come to work with your jeans pulled up over your calf at least act like you have a clue. Again comparing with the other staff. The drinks margaritas were pretty good. We ordered our food sorry can't remember what it was, but it was lukewarm, then hot then cold all in one. We had had enough and no sign of the waiter so I had to track him down. When the waiter finally came to our table we told him. He apologized and went and told whoever. He did come back with our bill and said that the food was made upstairs and cooked on this floor and that it could have been because you were the first customers of the day. We took our leftovers for lunch the next day and after a quick nuke in the microwave was delicious. We would go back as long as we are not first and not that waiter.

Date of visit: December 2020
PinkAMktg, Marketing at Spotted Donkey Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2020

Very sorry for the frustrations JB. We will certainly be sure to pass along your feedback to out mgt team for review. We do hope to have the opportunity to have you return and earn your addition bubbles. Thank you for your input.