“Still my favorite, but...”

Stingray Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 289 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 November 2017

Stingray has, for many years, been my favorite restaurant in RB. It's rare that I don't go here when I'm in town, and I appreciate that it's not only open year-round, but that they serve the full menu late night every night. I also am grateful that they have one of the only parking lots in town.
The last couple of years have been an uphill battle for them, and they managed to get through some trying times that would have closed other restaurants (street construction, death of owner, zoning issues). For the most part, Stingray remains one of Rehoboth's top restaurants, and definitely the best place to get sushi.
I would love to give 5 little green dots, but there are some issues that have me concerned:
-The host station. You don't need 4 attractive ones, you need 1 good one. It was always apparent that the previous ownership made good looks the primary qualification for this position, but anyone in the business knows this can be the key to how well a dining room runs, and you need skills to do it. This is one of the reasons I usually dine at the bar.
-When Chef Al is in the house, the sushi kitchen is as good as it gets. Otherwise, there is a lack of consistency.
-The building is a big old shed that must be a challenge to keep at a comfortable temperature. Bring a sweater in the winter, and prepare to shed layers in the summer.
-There are usually excellent wines on the list, and they always seem to be out of the one I want (if management is reading, Sauv. Blanc...order extra!).
Hopefully the new owners can capitalize upon previous success, and make the necessary corrections to bring this place back to it's glory.

Janine L, Guest Relations Manager at Stingray Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Anthony R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback from years of being a loyal guest at Stingray. We truly appreciate folk like you, and you are the reason for our continued success. We'll be sure to pass along your recommendation for the Sauvignon Blanc, as well as your comments to our team. We hope to see you again soon!

Stingray Management Team

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

The food is a mixture between asian and latin food but nothing spectacular. The cocktails were very sweet and not very good.

Janine L, Manager at Stingray Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Adriana H,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit. If you ever find that your expectations are not met during your dining experience, we would like to hear about it so that we can remedy it immediately! We would like to apologize that were not able to send you off with a memorable experience, as we pride ourselves in providing an amazing dining experience all around. We hope that you would give us another try in the future.

Stingray Management Team

Reviewed 5 November 2017

First, let me say I AM a Stingray LOYALIST and it pains me to write anything other than a glowing review. I have been eating the ManEater and the Hairy Mexican sushi rolls for many, many years and happily they are still on the revised menu... although the shrimp are now just battered and fried instead of being in a tempura batter, then friend as they were previously served.

NOTE: The Big Fish Group bought Stingray after the owner passed and have made (what I consider to be) some drastic menu changes... in hopes of streamlining the kitchen. Well, it has NOT worked. It appears the ENTIRE staff has been replaced... in front of house as well. I didn't recognize any of the sushi makers, servers or reception. Sad. Sad. Sad.

To be fair, I haven't been to Stingray in about 2 months, since they have had MAJOR acquisition issues like "Sorry, I can't take your reservation" upon trying to book our party and also just walking in and seeing 30 empty tables but told "You will have to wait at the bar for about 30 minutes for a table." There was and still IS no coordination.

The restaurant was NOT busy by ANY measure. A group of neighbors were also dining there that evening and they had several of their appetizers comped since the kitchen couldn't seem to get their act together. We also heard the waiter to our neighboring table apologize for the delay and offered then some apps in the meantime. It's sad and never used to be this way. You would think with the experience behind BIG FISH, someone could figure out a way to fix the kitchen... as that is the MAJOR issue.

Here is a list of the menu items we ordered on a recent Saturday night:
* Garlic and Eggplant soup - 2 diners said it was tasty, but very thick and gummy
* General Tso's Cauliflower - 2 diners ordered that app - average - not enough sauce and certainly no ZING that is normally associated with any General's dish.
* Lobster fried rice - Very salty and very little lobster
* Tofu Pad Thai - not traditional rice noodles and certainly prepared uniquely - like no other Pad Thai we've ever seen
* Hairy Mexican and ManEater sushi - (2 diners) good staple and changed just a little.
NOTE: There is no longer ANY tempura on the menu - except the tempura ice cream - which baffles us as customers.

To be upfront - I am an acquaintance of the general manager (who worked at the Blue Moon years ago) and he is always very cheery and very attentive. He walks and works the room. I told him I was writing a TripAdvisor review -- lol

To sum this dining experience up - it wasn't awful for us (like our friends and adjoining table), even with the kitchen issues (slow arriving food), but I always ask myself when I am leaving, "Did they give me a reason to go back?" Sadly the answer is NOT REALLY.

There are too many similar restaurant choices in our town that don't have the menu and kitchen issues this one is experiencing. If they get their act together, I will hear about it through the grapevine (Rehoboth isn't really that big when you live here) and will go back then. Otherwise, Cultured Pearl, Saketumi, Confuscious, Lily Thai, MYAGI and MINH's will be our choices when in the mood for Asian food.

Last year this time, the City had the street CLOSED in front of Stingray, really hurting their business and we trudged through the mud and construction to support the restaurant. Taking them off of our "GO TO" list isn't taken lightly, but an average restaurant needs to figure out how to SHINE to win back customers. Fixing the kitchen would be a good start. An innovative yet familiar menu would be next... as would the happy hour and late night menu specials. They have a LOT fo work to do.

1  Thank tresh20723
Janine L, Manager at Stingray Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Janine L, Manager at Stingray Restaurant, responded to this review
Hello Tresh20723,

Thank you very much for the feedback from your dining experience at Stingray.
It pains me to know that we have failed you in so many areas of your experience.
While it is true, we are a new acquisition for the Big Fish Restaurant Group, we have made many changes and improvements over the course of the past six months and will continue to do so until we're perfect! We are very excited about these changes! We'd like to apologize for the many disappointments during your visit and truly hope that we will see you again in the future. We are committed and strive to exceeding our guest expectations every day.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Andrea Herman, General Manager

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

There are lots of good things to say about this place. The location, ambiance, very friendly and attentive staff etc. The edamame and shrimp appetizers were delicious. The deserts were absolutely phenomenal. The only problem with this restaurant was the sushi. To start, this is the first sushi restaurant I’ve ever been to that doesn’t have a sushi sampler plate. The rolls that we did order(6 different ones for the table) were all either very bland or way too spicy. They all had a quite mushy texture too. For the exceptionally expensive bill, I’d expect a much better quality sushi.
All in all this is a great, albeit pricy restaurant, I would just avoid the sushi.

KM,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback from you recent visit. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your appetizers and desserts! We would like to apologize for the displeasing experience you had with your sushi rolls. We take great pride in providing an amazing dining experience and we fell short! If you are ever displeased with a menu item, please let a manager know, as we want nothing less than for you to leave completely satisfied with all aspects of your dining experience. We hope that you will give us another try in the future.

- Stingray Management Team

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

I stopped by for a quick lunch . Great happy hour , n great Tuesday special 241. Good service , delicious food . Will definitely be back .

Anna,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback from your visit! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience, and will be sure to pass along your compliments to our team!

- Stingray Management