“excellent trout”
Review of Cafe Routier

Cafe Routier
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Routier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Westbrook
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 14 April 2016

My wife and I attended with another couple. Two of us started with the Rice Congee which is a Vietnamese rice soup with chicken. It was very tasty. My wife liked the beet salad very much. For entrees the women both had the muscles and enjoyed them thoroughly. They were plump mid-sized muscles, presented in a delicious broth. I had the trout, as did the other gentleman, which is a regular menu item. It is served on a bed of Lyonnaise potatoes with grilled onions. It is mouth watering, it is so good. We skipped dessert in favor of a good cup of coffee. My only complaint was we were seated too close to the front door. It was a cold night and cold air entered the dining room each time the front door opened. We do plan to return more often.

Reviewed 2 April 2016

This restaurant is 100% perfect in every way. Actually when i called for a reservation i was told that they may be able to "Rearrange Things" and can he call me back . This was a nice surprise to start off with, and sure enough he did with the time we asked for.
The service, food, atmosphere, selection was outstanding. We had the "Short Ribs" and the "Scallops" as our main course and it was excellent. The onion soup was very good as was the "Endive Salad". We finished off the dinner with the "Mango Crisp".
I can't say enough good things about the entire dinner experience.

Reviewed 23 March 2016

I have visited Café Routier countless times over many years as I am always willing to spend money for good food and atmosphere. I give Café credit as they rotate in a seasonal menu that occasionally has something worthy of ordering but I tend to stick to the core specialties and the occasional special.

Until the last year or so, my go to meal was the Hanger steak which varies just slightly in preparation season over season but can always be ordered to your liking. For many years, they could do no wrong with this piece of meat - cooked perfect to order and would melt in your mouth. I have no inside knowledge but have found that either the supplier of the meat has changed or perhaps the preparation has changed as the meat is now typically tough to cut, chewy to taste and often undercooked.

Mom's Meatloaf is consistently excellent and Café is the only place on earth that I have actually ordered meatloaf and their Scallops are always terrific. Short Ribs and other rotating specials are typically rich and delicious but small portioned. Highly recommend the Chicken and Dumplings when available.

Often we will feast solely on the Pub menu and I recommend the Mexican Chopped Salad - perfect portion, fabulous dressing and can be topped with grilled chicken. The Kobe sliders are excellent and you must try the Pub fries with the fabulous house-specialty dip.

Service is typically very good - in both the bar area and the main restaurant although the bar area can fill up quickly as there are limited tables and people tend to linger. I have not had the bad bartender experiences as noted in other reviews. Art has been there for a long time and he seems to remember everyone's name and choice of drink and he has the distinction of being the only bartender to ever cut me off - and unnecessarily so I might add. I probably would have been offended if I wasn't so shocked at the time! I had had several martinis over several hours and was talking quietly with my wife on our anniversary when he very nicely refused me a fourth.

Again, I was so shocked that I had to respect his decision. He later poured one more for my wife and I to share.

Café Routier is worth a visit and seems recession-proof as people will travel from all over to visit. If you want to try dishes that are cooked and prepared beautifully that you cannot find elsewhere - like rabbit or duck - here is your opportunity.

Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

We dropped into the lounge, with a mix of tables and banquet, on a Monday night which has a very laid back, relaxing feel. We enjoyed mussels - a generous helping of nice sized mussels in a wine broth from the dining rooms menu and sliders from the small plates menu and fries. Only a small number of craft beers on tap, which we were told changes monthly or so. All were sampled in a quite reasonably priced flight of four glasses. Service was excellent.

Reviewed 15 February 2016

The food is phenomenal at Cafe Routier. I would give it 5 stars, except we ate at the bar. The bartender was aloof, and drinking beer from the tap. He was in his own world. He was totally inattentive which was not our experience in the dining room. The food is exquisite, and it's a shame the young bartender didn't live up to their standards.

Been to Cafe Routier? Share your experiences!