“Homemade tamales - Yum”

Ranked #10 of 188 Restaurants in West Hartford
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Inspired by a healthy, outdoor lifestyle, bartaco combines fresh, upscale street food with a coastal vibe in a relaxed environment. bartaco is specialty cocktails crafted with fresh-squeezed juices, beer out of a bottle, and hand-held foods delivered on metal trays. The rustic beach resort design complements the spirited bold and bright flavors of bartaco’s eclectic menu. The stylish ambience, cocktails, and freshly prepared tacos and “not tacos” create an unforgettable experience.
Reviewed 6 January 2017

In have been to this restaurant three times for lunch. They have really good homemade tamales with various meat fillings (chicken, pork and beef) as well as other Mexican type offerings. The service is quick.

1  Thank ruthorourke

Reviewed 30 December 2016

My wife and i decided to go to Bartaco in West Hartford, funny thing is the entrance doors to bar taco and a tapas place are near each other and we sat in the tapas bar until we realized we did not see any signs for tacos or margaritas lol so when we finally righted ourselves at a seat at the bar in Bartaco we were very glad we did.
The place was filled and the crowd is a younger one, mostly twenty somethings but that never holds us back for good food, so we started with drinks from a very talented bartender and bar staff, the Margaritas are very good as well as the beer choices, so far so good, then it just got better, we ordered from paper and pencils supplied at the bar, we chose pork tamales and a selection of tacos, oyster, pork belly baja fish and chorizo, the tamales came out right away and were fantastic, then the tacos came out, i quickly had three and ordered three more, the oyster, the pork belly and the chorizo was what i had, truth is, if i was not so filled up i could have stayed there for hours putting away taco after taco after taco.
Being able to travel the country and try many places and types of tacos, from the food trucks in New Haven to tuna tacos in Miami etc these by far were the bomb!
Service was great, food came out fast hot and so good, drinks were made by a very competent bar staff and the vibe is a good one. Just go there!

1  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

This place was great! Amazing atmosphere, awesome service and fantastic tacos!! This place is in a great neighborhood and has other nice shopping nearby!

Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

This is a very busy, upmarket and vibey place in quite a swanky neighbourhood. It was packed when we got there and it all seemed so promising. There was even a massive and impressive tequila selection. Then it went downhill. There was no draught beer. Only bottles. The cocktails were okay, but the food... what a let down. I ended up paying over $100 for what tasted like bad cheap office catering snacks. The service was fine. But this place is an insult to good Mexican food. This is all gloss and no substance.

Bartaco W, General Manager at bartaco West Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2016

I would like to apologize for failing to provide you the quality of experience that one should expect at our restaurant. Additionally, it sounds like we did a poor job of explaining our concept. For all of this, I am sorry.

I was hoping to get a bit more information about your visit, so I can take your feedback and address the issues with direct actions. Do you recall when you were in & what exactly you had ordered that left this poor impression? I am certain, that if we did a better job across the board, you would have had a much different experience. If you would consider letting me make it up to you, I would be happy to invite you back as my guest as a thank you for your feedback and to also showcase bartaco to you in the way in which it was intended- fun, fresh, engaging and unique.

I can be reached at dbailey@barteca.com or at 617.413.5648. I would be happy to also send you a certificate if you send me your mailing address. Again, I am so sorry that we failed you but do hope to make amends.

Don Bailey
bartaco West Hartford

Reviewed 14 November 2016

I always loved this place and had great times here but now it's been a few years since they opened and I brought some out of town guests. They were not impressed! There are always long waits unless you call 30 minutes in advance which we did (no reservations but there is a "wait list"). We were seated outside quickly and it looked like rain and then immediately started to pour. 2 of us were on the side with the rain, the server did try to help us move the table but overall, the servers weren't smiling and they seemed really rushed and stressed. Just a bad night? I don't know. The place is always packed. It's attracting a younger crowd now and honestly, I wished I had taken my guests somewhere else. The food had gone down in quality, the service as well. Sorry Bar Taco, you lost a regular customer

Deborah-

I am so sorry that we failed in so many ways during your most recent visit. Clearly the quality of your visit didn't match your prior ones, and we didn't do ourselves any favors by having staff that weren't making you feel anything but welcome & laid back.

We also failed during your visit to mitigate these things and make it right while you were here. For all of this, I apologize.

I can understand also why you may not want to return, however I am hoping you will reconsider, and allow me to invite you back as my guest. I am certain that what you encountered on your most recent visit is not our standard, and I would like for an opportunity to prove it again & win you back.

I can be reached at dbailey@barteca.com or at 617.413.5648. If you be willing to accept my offer, simply provide a mailing address and I will get something in the mail to you right away.

Don Bailey