“Best Kept Secret”

Ranked #7 of 30 Restaurants in Stonington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Have been visiting Stonington for years and find it hard to believe we never heard about Zacks until we saw the name amongst other local restaurants in Stonington. We gave it a shot for dinner on a Thursday night and were pleasantly surprised! We called ahead to get on the wait list and sure enough got there in the nick of time it was the only table left. Great food, wonderful staff and service! I had mussels in a red sauce and my husband had French onion soup, delicious. Dinner was scallops pan fried, the best chunky mashed potatoes and veggies for me; my husband had fried shrimp and his words "the best fried shrimp I ever ate" (he is a real fuss pot when it comes to fried shrimp). And the warm rolls were the bomb! I can't believe we never knew about Zacks in all the years we've been visiting Stonington. Don't miss this place folks, it's a gem!

1  Thank Shirley M

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Loved the atmosphere and the food was awesome! We had the scallop appetizer, the BEST, Chicken Piccata, and the coffee and homemade desserts were wonderful! I had the almond raspberry shortbread (to die for) and my husband had the blueberry pie.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

We do not do chain restaurants, I support american business only!! So when we traveled to a casino a few towns over, I decided to check where the locals go for a great meal, I kept coming back to Zack's reviews! Glad we came, quaint place, nothing super fancy, but warm and welcoming, but boy they go all out with the quality of the dishes. Great American fare as well as local Seafood dishes, soup to burgers, nachos to 1/2 a rack of Lamb, this place eclectic choices, something for everyone, as well as super attentive staff, they know everyone's name!! Love this place, wish we were closer, but we will be back someday soon!!

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Zaks is a quintessential neighborhood bistro and I eat here at least once a month. A basic menu with a dozen standards and nightly specials that are often variations on the regular menu items. The food is good and a good value. There is a full bar and the wine selection while limited is also well priced. Service is pleasant and friendly.

I'm a big fan of the burgers here. Nothing fancy, just a basic burger of substantial size on an appropriate bun that's just the right consistency. Other favorites include the bacon wrapped scallops, a meal in itself, the strip steak and the petit filet. I have yet to try the prime rib, a Friday and Saturday special, but judging from the other beef dishes, it should be excellent.

The atmosphere is a little dark and some might think it looks a little grubby but it is very comfortable. Again, nothing fancy here.

It may be a bit hard to find as it's under the overpass leading into the boro, on the north side of the railroad tracks. Don't come here for the water views, there ain't any, but do come here for good basic food.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Do not use Waze to find Zack's! It told us we had reached our destination in the middle of the bridge that runs over the restaurant! Once we found this gem, we knew it was worth the trouble. The food, service, and atmosphere were all wonderful.

1  Thank Lisa H