“Consistently fresh, high quality, seafood ”

Close Harbour Seafood
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Plantsville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

We have been going to Close Harbour Seafood for many years for the seafood market. I will preface this review by saying that if you are looking for cheap seafood this is NOT the place to go. However, if you are looking for the freshest of the fresh, creme de la creme seafood in the area Close Harbour is by far the best. I cannot say enough about the quality of Close Harbour Seafood. The Close family takes great pride in their business and is committed to excellence. We have purchased salmon, all types of white fish (tilapia, halibut, cod, flounder, etc.), tuna, and shellfish and have always been incredibly satisfied with our purchase. The cocktail shrimp in particular are a standout. In addition their takeout items such as any of the seafood cakes, coconut shrimp (I SALIVATE at the thought), etc. are divine and worth the purchase.

The restaurant itself is a great place to treat yourself or celebrate a special occasion as it does run on the slightly pricier side. I have recently had the opportunity to have both lunch and dinner at Close Harbor. The staff and bartenders were incredibly attentive and friendly and the restaurant was well kept and exceptionally clean. For lunch my guest and I had the Captain's Roll, which is a blend of fresh lobster and fresh jumbo lump crab. The roll was perfectly buttered and the seafood itself was so tender and fresh with just the right amount of seasoning to accentuate the quality of the seafood. The onion rings were fresh from the fryer and were exceptionally crisp, albeit a tad greasy. It was an ample, filling portion for $22 (market price of the time for fresh lobster and crab plus a side). For dinner I decided to go light and try a couple of appetizers - the seared scallops with a cauliflower puree and the seafood sausage raviolis. The scallops and cauliflower puree were a little cold, but the scallops were sweet and seared without being rubbery or conversely dry in texture. The seafood sausage raviolis were light and fresh tasting and paired perfectly with the sauteed spinach. My guest had the captain's roll for dinner with the Old Bay fries. The Old Bay fries were so good, but warning decently salty as it is (duh) Old Bay seasoning. Close Harbour restaurant does offer a diverse offering of wines by the glass or bottle, draft beer, and cocktails. If you have several members of your party interested in wine splitting a bottle is probably the best deal.

The quality and selection at Close Harbour Seafood cannot be beat whether you shop at the fish market or the restaurant and I would certainly recommend both if you are looking to cook or enjoy a special meal. I hope to hit up their happy hour at some point soon and we will definitely be back at the fish market for our next seafood centered meal.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I ate here with some co-workers for dinner one Friday evening. The food was mostly good, but not everyone in my group was crazy about it.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Whether you are looking for a delicious lunch or a romantic dinner, Close Harbor never will disappoint you. Completely redone after a heartbreaking fire destroyed most of the interior, Bill's tradition of excellence carries on. A simple menu offers you a host of choices; if you wish something unique, visit the showcase in their adjoining fish market and select what you want from the case. Then , enjoy a favorite beverage or bowl of chowder while your selection is prepared. Not a fan of tacos, I ordered fish tacos there for the first time this week. Amazing ! I now am a convert. Just a hint: become a VIP Member to receive a weekly email about their specials which do not appear on the menu. That's how I discovered the tacos. Now, to wait for their crabcakes to appear.........

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Have now visited the new restaurant five different times since the restoration. Unfortunately our experience has been average at best. The new space was not well thought out and overall ergonomics don’t offer much comfort. We have tried brunch, lunch and dinners all resulting in an overall dissatisfied experience. Food in each case was just ok as was the service. We truly miss the old place. I’m sorry to say that we won’t be back.

2  Thank Ourtime582a
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

On a rainy dreary Connecticut day this was just what we needed! The New England style Clam Chowder was a hit. Just the right amount of cream, potatoes and whole fresh clams. We also split a mixed fried platter of fresh cod, shrimp and scallops. Finished every bit of the crispy parmesan truffle fries! . Nicely stocked fresh seafood case. Wish I had room for the fried smelts. Highly recommend a visit if you're in the area!