“It's a mixed bag, but worth a try”

Black Hog Brewing Co.
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Oxford
Reviewed 22 March 2017

Went this past Sunday with another couple since we had a Groupon for the flight tasting. It opens at 1pm on Sunday and we arrived around that time. Only a few patrons there when we arrived and had our pick of tables. We had two groupons between the 4 of us, although I don't drink, so it was really two flights of 12 - 5oz. beers. It's cute that they serve it in a muffin tin with numbers under each glass and a description sheet for each beer. My hubby (beer snob) really liked the beer and the variety they gave in each sample. Some glasses were certainly more than 5 ounces, so you are not going to suffer for lack of content with the 12 beer tasting flight!

After about 30 minutes of arriving, the place was getting packed and the line to get beer was really long! We stayed about 2 hours and by the time we left it was so crowded you could barely move around or get out the door. Quite a popular place for the middle of nowhere, CT.

Pros: a good offer for that much variety and beer in the tasting.

Cons: this place is in the boonies for sure! It's in a warehouse-type complex so it can be hard to locate at first. It's a smaller tasting room and with the crowds that we saw, there is definitely not enough seating. People were complaining that there wasn't enough room, tables, chairs, etc. The toilet was in BAD shape! There was only one restroom for everyone. I don't quite know what happened in there, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out. I do think they need to work on getting food trucks even on Sundays as the food options are limited, and unless you really think ahead and bring your own, you will be out of luck since it's pretty isolated around there and I doubt any restaurants deliver. I don't think we'd go back mostly due to the limited space and location of the brewery.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"ginja"
"ct"

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

I had a Groupon for this brewery and glad I checked it out. They have many varieties on tap and it was a fun atmosphere. I went on a Saturday in January and it was packed!

1  Thank Rachel R
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Small batch breweries are popping up in the most unlikely places. Black Hog is a great example. The humble office park setting belies the incredible beer within. Flights, Growlers, pints and the regular food trucks make Black Hog well worth the visit.

1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Our town soccer club had a fundraiser here. They had a bar set up with all of their beers and a table set up with food. It was a pretty cool place in a small industrial park. We got to see all the brewing equipment, set up etc.
Something different and informal and everyone had a good time. I'd definitely do it again

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 November 2016

About a dozen beers on tap. The Connecticut Love Bomb (wet hops, sourced from CT) was the favorite of most of us. The Granola Brown Ale (which I have had in cans) was also very good. They also have some fruity/sour beers which I don't like. Very crowded on Saturday night, so about half the people need to stand while talking. It's in an industrial park, so keep circling until you find the place.