“Best wings ever! Everything was phenomenal! ”
Review of Rooster Co

Rooster Co
Ranked #4 of 112 Restaurants in Newington
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Best wings we've ever had! We had the maple mustard wings..excellent!!! Everything here was phenomenal! The pork belly with meyer lemon panna cotta was awesome! Their signature rotisserie chicken is so juicy yet the skin is still crispy..the lunch special with the chicken was just awesome with polenta and caesar salad.. grassfed burger with truffle fries was delish..the rotisserie chicken with pate, cracklins,etc was to die for. . Wow!! How lucky are we here in Newington Center to have you here Rooster Co! Thank you Taylor for such great service..and thank you Chef! Incredible! Can't wait to return for Sunday brunch, looks amazing!

Date of visit: January 2017

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Rooster Co doesn't need my review to bring in the customers. It has both the best (and highly popular) bar and food in Newington.

The chef takes his chances and, therefore, not everything he prepares is (for me) a hit. The pork belly with the Eggs Benedict at Sunday brunch, for example, left me cold. And I'm not a fan of his salmon preparation.

OK. The bad is out of the way. Now to the reasons I love this restaurant:

1. The Thursday special, Chicken Milanese. The dish is one of my all-time favorites of a lifetime, nearly perfect. Add the truffle mac & cheese as a side and "nearly perfect" upgrades to "perfect."

2. The chicken and waffles with maple mustard sounds terrible. Mustard and waffles?! Yuck. Here's the surprise: it works and it works wonderfully. If I had a literal eternity to make food combinations, I doubt I'd have come up with this one. That would have been my loss. (As with any totally new taste, one needs to avoid confusing the "newness" with "wrong". If you're open to it, however, you may notice that the waffle-maple-flavored-mustard combo is anything but wrong. Right in fact.)

3. The staff. I've never encountered a waiter or waitress here who didn't know the menu and who didn't display some pride at what the chef prepares. His staff seem to be genuine fans. The service is quick, efficient, and pleasant.

If you enjoy trying new tastes or enjoying well-prepared familiar tastes (e.g., the rotisserie section of the menu), you're likely to enjoy this restaurant. Give it a try or, if you happen to pick a dish that's not to your taste, dare a second try. There are menu items that will appeal to you even items in the category of things that don't sound good to you.

Hate truffles? I thought I did until I tried the truffled mac & cheese. I've since tried it elsewhere. It's OK elsewhere. Here, it's a treat.

We've been there well over a dozen times and have sometimes brought others with us. Thus far, all have enjoyed it.

It does not serve breakfast but does have a Sunday Brunch.

Go elsewhere for your dessert. The desserts are the Achilles heel of this restaurant (with the inedible Potato Chip Fudge Brownie at the bottom of the heap); but, the meals are quite satisfying without a dessert -- and certainly filling since the portion sizes are generous.

1  Thank Tom_richards67
Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

Had a first time visit for a family lunch. Outstanding wings (made with duck fat) Delicious! Great salads and great chicken items including good specials. I had a Crispy Salmon wrap which was excellent. Good value for the dollar. Very friendly service. Will repeat soon!

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 31 December 2016

My son gave my wife a gift card, so today we went for lunch. The menu is just chockablock with great-sounding possibilties, so we both took the easy way out and had the same lunch special. Half a rotisserie chicken, your choice of side sauce. My wife accompanied this with a Caesar salad, and I with chicken soup. We both got a superlative polenta, bedecked in porchetta and parmesan. We agreed the chicken was THE best we'd ever tasted : moisty, golden, perfectly seasoned. The service was first-rate as well. I don't have to be Nostradamus to predict we'll be back soon

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

I came across this restaurant while searching online for somewhere new to try and I'm glad I did. The menu offered a variety of options that were both different and unique. We ordered the philly sandwiches and calamari to start and for entrees we had the cavatelli, lazy chicken dinner with a side of Brussel sprouts and the skillet lasagna. Everything that we had was flavorful and delicious! We were too full for desert but everything on that menu sounded delicious as well! Each day of the week they have a different special and we can't wait to go back on a Sunday and try their chicken and waffles. Our server, Emilio, was friendly and engaging with it being our first time there. Can't wait to go back!!