“Amazing seafood platter and more”

Frank's Gourmet Grille
Ranked #2 of 104 Restaurants in Mystic
Description: Cozy. American/Continental Cuisine. Elegance for the casual diner. Located in Mystic, Ct just off Interstate 95. Away from the downtown traffic and parking hassles.
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I won a little jackpot at Foxwoods and wanted a nice restaurant. We had been told that Franks was excellent so gave it a try. The outside is not fancy but don't be put off. The interior is comfortable and classy enough. The wine was good, a good selection, and both my wife and I wanted a seafood dinner. She selected the seafood medley which was enough for two. More importantly, the lobster tail, six jumbo shrimp, scallops, mussels and pasta were cooked properly and in a delicious, light sauce. I asked for broiled scallops with rice, which was not on the menu, but the chef made a delicious plate for me; I haven't had better.
Finally, the service was excellent. Our waitress Samantha was supported by several others so that anything we desired was quickly supplied.
A most memorable evening.

1  Thank Don A
Francis G, Owner at Frank's Gourmet Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thanks so much for your great review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. We love it when you're happy.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

It was within a month of two years ago that Ben and Mrs Too, upon the urging of the front desk clerk at our hotel, dined at a month old restaurant in Mystic, and referred to it as a “fast climbing newcomer”, which at the time occupied 65th place of 84 eateries in the TripAdvisor listings. As of this writing, the “fast climbing newcomer” is listed as #1 of 61, and has won TA’s Certificate of Excellence, along with just about every award available to it. No one deserves these accolades more than Chef Frank Grace.

Upon this visit to Mystic, Ben and Mrs Too went to him for both of our dinners in town, so this review actually encompasses two successive nights at the restaurant. We very, very seldom do that. The bedlam in the dining room has been greatly attenuated by some firm with a distinct mastery of the science of acoustics and the grace of aesthetics. Ben’s comment that his lamb chops were a tad overcooked, he solved for himself after learning Frank’s cooking style. We had flounder francais, filet mignon very rare, a chicken pot pie, and a retake on the rack of lamb. Everything was heavenly, as Frank showed himself to be the same talented saucier as before.

The staff is knowledgeable, welcoming, and attentive without obeisance. The premises are a simple study in restrained elegance, and Frank himself spends a great deal of time in the dining making certain that all is as the guest would have it.

We also walked through the bar/lounge this year, and found it to show the distinct air of an upscale watering hole where friends or business associates can relax with a brew or a snort.

As his website claims, the experience at Frank’s is easily the equal of any “big city” restaurant, except for the big city prices. We strongly recommend this superb dining room to you. You will develop a real attachment.

You are extremely kind and thoughtful. Thanks so much for your great review. I'm flattered by what you wrote.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Our friends told us that Frank's is a great place for dinner, plus I've seen that it's top-rated, but my husband and I never thought to try it since the outside is pretty unimpressive and the menu out front didn't excite. We did finally go, and we were pleasantly surprised. I had the French Onion Soup and a vegetarian appetizer salad and my hubby had the salmon. Both were delicious and the wine was lovely as well. The only negative was that we were seated REALLY close to two other sets of diners and it wasn't the most private meal for the two of us. Frank does actually come out to serve guests and chat with his (presumably many) friends that are frequent customers, which was a nice, homey touch. We live nearby, so we'll be back!

Thanks so much for your great review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Next time in ask for me and we will try to get you the table of your choice.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

The service was great but when you put the word GOURMET in your title, you set up an expectation for the food to be superior. This dinner did not live up to such an expectation. It was average. Nothing to wrote home (or here) about. Everyone had a decent meal except for our friend who had the duck. It was inedibly salty. And, the person who took the dish off the table should have realized it was hardly touched and asked. That too would be a level of service that comes with a "gourmet" billing.
If your going to be a duck, quack like one!

3  Thank gourageous

I am sorry you did not have a great experience as I strive to offer to everyone who walks through our door. I do appreciate your feedback. If you are interested in coming back, shoot me an email at francis.grace@snet.net and mention this review.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Very friendly family type atmosphere. I would go back and get almost anything for a tasty meal but certainly not gourmet in the true sense of the word. Our calamari app was ample, tender, and a piece of fried basil on top was a nice touch. The special seafood entree with a rouge beurre blanc was very tasty, with hard overcooked and improperly deveined shrimp, dry lobster chunks, but great sauce and scallops. Don't get the duck! It seemed to be brined to ensure tenderness but the meat was terribly salty, obscuring the duck taste. It could have been any over salted poultry. The request was for a crispy skin, could have been heaven, instead a soft and slippery skin w/o the crispy texture we love on roast duck. The waitstaff was excellent and attentive. Gourmet? Not really........

Thanks for your review. I am sorry you didn't enjoy all of the meals you described. I tweak my recipes based on the majority of guests feedback. Most everyone really enjoy our food. Improperly prepared and overcooked food is unacceptable by my standards. I hope this was an isolated incident. If you would like to contact me to discuss how I may lure you back in to have a much better impression, it is francis.grace@snet.net.
Thanks again! I am very proud of my ability to prepare and cook gourmet food but I am also a business man who offers a menu that fits our demographics. There is a gourmet twist on most everything we serve. I do hope to see you again. If you do come in please ask for me and bring your review to my attention.