“would come here again!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Family lunch stop during our visit to Mystc Seaport. Big portions! Tried clam chowder, nachos, burger, and fish/chips. Would return here if I lived closer and would just go down the menu...

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Nautical ambiance with dim lighting provides an upper scale seaside port of call for groups and family mostly with intimate seating for couples as well.
The food is very good. (Had the Mariner Classic)
The staff are warm and welcoming.
Within walking distance just off of town center.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

We chose this place for its proximity to our inn and were glad we did. It was a pleasure to be seated in a booth, to feel private and be able to have a conversation- so many restaurants with tight seating these days. We tried the uniquely presented candied bacon which was served hanging on a hook with a tangy, sweet dipping sauce. The bread was moist, crispy and delicious. Wine by the glass choices were fine and fairly reasonable. I enjoyed a caesar salad with grilled chicken - plated attractively, dressed well, crispy croutons and shaved cheese. My husband had the chicken risotto - super creamy and delicious! Our server was very friendly and efficient. The bar also had a nice, quiet, dark vibe for a couple to enjoy. We had a nice evening here. Give it a try!

Reviewed 17 April 2017

After an impromptu family outing a couple of months back (the review for which I said we'd definitely come back), we were a little disappointed. I definitely know that on any given day, even the establishments known to be 'flawless' may give you a less-than-perfect experience. Having said that, the service was absolutely fine (we ate at the bar this time)...but the menu had really changed and maybe it was me but I had trouble finding something that said, "I have to try that"...in fact, even just a good 'ol juicy burger would have pleased me. Unfortunately I don't remember what I ordered, but what I remember is it was fine...just not necessarily outstanding. My wife had a ceasar salad that was certainly an artistic presentation but simply left her a little disappointed. And it seemed more expensive than the last visit. The décor is great.

Again, maybe it's me, but it seemed like the restaurant was trying to go upscale and it just didn't fit for me. No reason not to try it though...I'm just one perspective and of 2 recent visits in the past 6 months we had one great visit and one Ok. That can happen! So, I'm quite sure I'll go back at some point and try it again...that'll be the deciding visit for the future!

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

The food was actually pretty good; it was the service that was awful. We will never go back. Our waitress was rude; brought apps and meals out at the same time. Just a terrible experience.

1  Thank John111672
Debbie G, Owner at Ancient Mariner, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Hi there. Can you let me know when you were there and who your server was?
I would like to look into this immediately and get back with you.
Debbie, owner

Been to Ancient Mariner? Share your experiences!