“Beer, beer and more beer still!”
Review of Jealous Monk

Jealous Monk
Ranked #44 of 103 Restaurants in Mystic
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a low-key beer/eatery place modeled off biergartens in Germany and Austria: few individual tables, mostly long common tables with benches and high chairs, a basic meal menu with lots of meet in it and beer - lots and lots of beer (good one).

The service was good: attentive and knowledgeable servers and bartenders, fairly quick turnaround.

Despite a lot of alcohol flowing, the place is family-friendly and feels safe and appropriate: we saw a lot of families with kids, everybody was enjoying themselves. Probably the first place in the world that I've seen serving my kids with a chessboard (!) in lieu of the run-of-the-mill stupid coloring sheets with four broken crayons to kill some time waiting for the food. My kids enjoyed it a lot.

I'm taking one star off just for the food: it was pretty average, truth be told. But I don't think people are coming to that place specifically for that.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Now, I’m not a beer geek, as are my two sons, but I appreciate artistry in any form.
Walking around the Village in Mystic, Ct. my husband and I were happy to note a new place that had opened. Always on the lookout for new places, we felt it our duty to go in!
A good sized crowd- all chatting away and sipping beer, a great laid back vibe, and a very nice, capable bartender named Dave joined to make our experience very nice. I decided to try a flight get of three beers, so he helped pick them out. All three were perfectly flavored, each different. I drank them all.
There is a choice of 32 beers on tap, and more in bottles, so there should be something for everyone.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

We decided to try the Jealous Monk becasue we were staying at a nearby hotel and felt like something casual. We had never been here before, and we liked what we saw. The restaurant has a casual, freindly, social feel, staff is freindly and welcoming. We went on a Saturday night around 7pm, and only had to wait a couple of minutes before getting a seat. The restaurant itself is small, however they have what looks to be a large outdoor seating area with lots of comfortable chairs, tables, and even firepits. We can't wait to come back in the warmer months.
Any type of beer you would ever want, lots of european beers, pretty reasonably priced.
We split the pretzel appetizer, and I had a bratwurst and fries, and my wife had a schnitzel sandwich and fries. The pretzel was REALLY good, More than enough for one person, perfect for sharing, and it came with a spicy mustard and a sweeter honey mustard. We optioned for the peanut butter bacon spread, for an exta $2. It was good, but we actually preferred the mustards. Had to try it though! Our sandwiches were ok, nothing special, but the fries were tasty and unique.
It took a long time for our food to come out, and the waiter recognized this, apologized, and took our appetizer off the bill. We had not said anything, not complained, but he saw there was a problem, and took care of it proactively. That is the sign of good customer service and excellent awareness.

Reviewed March 13, 2018

Just stopped in as I was staying in a hotel across the street; ended up staying a bit to long. Lots of beer choices. The only thing was the staff seemed to be a bit over worked and really didn't give you the time I sometimes like when I am asking about different brews on the menu. Food was quite good.

Reviewed March 13, 2018

Located in Olde Mistick Village, this is easy to find and has plenty of parking. We made reservations because we had a large group.
They have a large selection of beer on tap and also wine and mixed drinks. They have a fairly good food menu. We all decided to get appetizers: eggplant fries, Belgian fries, deviled egg (note: it is just 1 egg), pretzels, bier cheese, nachos and more. Everyone enjoyed their food and even more they enjoyed their drinks.
The atmosphere is like a beer hall. Long wood tables and loud. A good time was had by all.

Been to Jealous Monk? Share your experiences!