“LOVELY SURROUNDINGS AND GOOD AMBIENCE - PITY ABOUT THE STAFF”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Ripley
Price range: US$28 - US$52
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Charming 16th Century award winning pub/restaurant, situated on the High Street, in the centre of Ripley.
Reviewed 9 August 2018

A friend and I went for a drink at The Anchor and were sitting in the garden as it was so warm. We were not eating and were asked to move tables without a proper explanation. We finished our drinks and left. I later wrote to The Anchor and the explanation was that our table was needed to make up a larger tables but this was not explained at the time.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

I visited here at the weekend for dinner with some friends. We all had mains and deserts. The food itself was really delicious, I really enjoyed it. However, the portion sizes are just too small especially considering the price that you're paying. I left the pub having enjoyed spending time with my friends, enjoyed the food but still a bit hungry and having to have something more to eat when I got home. At the prices they are charging they can definitely increase the portion size. I did enjoy the food but I think in future I would go somewhere with more generous portions and better value for money. But it was an enjoyable evening and the portions of food we did eat were delicious.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 1 August 2018

We all chose from the lunch menu of the day and were all impressed with our meals
The Skate and Guinea fowl,options were delicious
Great staff and attentive service
A real find in leafy Surrey and in the heart of the village with a car park at the rear

Reviewed 23 July 2018

On entering the inn, one is immediately struck by the opulent feel to the place. Smart liveried waiters and waitresses. Even the fellow-diners seemed very upmarket. The lunchtime set menu was disappointingly limited to only two choices, starter and main so my companion and I moved on to the à la carte. This provided a reassuringly full selection but of course, the cost was ratcheted up quite significantly.
Our meals were excellent. The lamb starter was particularly tasty. Fish for both our mains were creatively presented and impeccably well served. Service was attentive but at a relaxed pace. For a special lunch, recommended

2  Thank Businessfellow
Reviewed 22 July 2018

The food is much better than gastro-pub, first of all! It's not all burgers, steaks and posh salads, and the like. In fact the menu is quite 'adult', and atypical of a pub surrounding. Much translation was needed for my young adult children! ( eg escabeche anyone?!)
We had the cumin lamb to start, followed by hake and pork dishes - all delicious and beautifully presented. Exquisite tastes in all the items that make up the dish.
The baked Alaska for pudding was also superb.
So why not 5*? Well, the starter was not overly hot - it felt that it had been left to one side for a bit too long. Perhaps it was supposed to be like that but I am not sure. It wasn't cold, but you know you want your food to seem as if it is straight out of the oven or hob.
Would we go back? Absolutely yes. Would love to try more from their interesting menu.

1  Thank sbizzle