“Average food and rude staff”

Ripley Curry Garden
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Ripley
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I had heard good things about this place and was looking forward to visiting on a Friday evening with family. Speaking as someone who works within the catering industry, I found the service some of the worst I had encountered for a while. The waiters seemed annoyed that we weren't ordering much alcohol, seemed to begrudgingly provide one of our party with a glass of water, and gave the general impression we were not welcome. One waiter even tried to argue that someone had ordered a dish different to the one that they had asked for! The food itself was nothing that special, quite salty, having said that, the vegetable samosas were very tasty and did appear to be handmade.

1  Thank NikkiVgood

Reviewed 5 August 2018

I think the staff were a little annoyed by various aspects of our visit. We seemed to be "challenging" them a little. However, we weren't unruly, unpleasant or rude. But we didn't receive great service at all. The poor service was at a constant low level and included impatience, ignoring of small requests, referring to customers as "her", slow delivery of water, the appearance that they would have preferred us to order more drinks, bringing too few face wipes, "plonking" drinks down, standing in our way rather than helping us to our seats. The oddest manifestation of the disdain with which we were held was the main waiter appearing to believe that I had forgotten my order when he attempted to clarify a mistake he had made. Rather than correct the mistake he wanted to just provide me with what he had already written down. I HAD remembered my order, and the order he had recorded would NOT have been appropriate. The food was fine though - all pretty similar to the fare provided in other restaurants of this kind, but tasty and warm (and salty!!). I wish there was more choice...but I enjoyed my channa, "saag", garlic potatoes and bindi. And...I think they make their own samosas!!

1  Thank visitorbrum
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

An excellent and “authentic” Indian food restaurant in the charming village of Ripley. We would eat there again. Their vindaloo is as hot as it should be. Portion sizes are just right. Serving time was good.

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

A lovely restaurant, amazing food, freshly cooked with beautiful flavours. Great service, a super family birthday meal out x

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We moved to the area about a year ago - and whilst this is a twenty minute drive will be our curry house of choice ( though to be fair the Brasserie in Dorking is a tad nearer and also very good )
Anyway we booked a table a little late but managed to get in on a Saturday night . We were made to feel very welcome and were shown to our table ( a little more on that later ) . Our starters of monkfish tikka and lamb tikka were truly excellent- the lamb tikka probably the best I have ever had . However even this was eclipsed by a sensational seafood Bhuna which was staggeringly good and outstanding value given both the quality and quantity of the seafood on offer
This is a brilliant restaurant- the staff are outstanding and were truly concentrating on the customer experience.
One tip though - I totally understand that our late booking left us with the worst table in the restaurant ( I was left looking down the corridor at the toilet door and sign) but this could be alleviated with a coat of paint down the corridor and a bright picture of some sort to deflect the eye . I was once told by a leading restauranteur that management should sit in each chair in the restaurant to take in the view the diner experiences. This would work wonders here - and given the positive attitude of the young management team - would have a huge impact at very little cost)
These comments are meant to be positive- and do not detract from such an excellent meal served by a wonderful staff - hence the five stars