“Very good lunch with friends at the Gris”

Griswold Inn ~ Dining
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the “storybook” village of Essex mere steps from the Connecticut River, this 1776 landmark offers three distinct dining experiences. “Historic Dining” is offered in four handsome rooms - The Covered Bridge, The Gun Room, The Library and The Essex Room – where a renowned maritime art collection fills the walls. The Inn’s New England heritage and connection with the sea is apparent in the classic seasonal cuisine offered; diners may enjoy a more contemporary culinary experience in the stunning wine bar featuring tapas-style dining and an extensive selection of wines by the glass; tavern fare is offered in the atmospheric, award-winning Tap Room where lively music rings out nightly. Patio dining is an option May through October, weather permitting. Lunch and dinner served daily, Hunt Breakfast on Sunday.
Reviewed 31 October 2016

There were four of us for lunch, and we all enjoyed it very much. We had a cobb salad, fish and chips, butternut squash ravioli, and grilled chicken with spinach and butternut squash as sides. All delicious.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

The service was attentive , but not over bearing. The lunch was a Ten. I suspect there is a new chef that is spot on with his/her culinary creations. The meals were delicious and each meal actually complimented the other. I was with a family member and before dining we decided to taste a portion of each others entree. Both on the mark.. Thank-you and we will be back and tell our friends ..THE GRIS IS BACK...

Reviewed 24 October 2016

This restaurant is composed of many rooms, each with its own character. Ask to see them all before settling down in one. The lunch proportions were enormous so bring a small cooler to safely transport what you cannot eat. The Revolutionary Ale was delicious.

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

We stopped by for lunch after we took the train in Essex. The inn was easy to locate and we were able to park close by. We had our lunch out on the patio. My husband had their revolutionary ale and he said it was so smooth he had to have another. We had a Cobb and Caesar salads. We also sampled their clam chowder. If in the area I would certainly find this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

I wonder if the inn has changed hands recently? My wife and I stayed there for two nights. We are in our mid 50's.They have a beautiful pub but a bartender straight out of a gangster movie roadhouse. I asked to charge the drinks to my room and a monologue started about how he had to have my credit card because they can't trust anyone and at the end of the night the tabs go unpaid. Finally he asked if I had a room key and sneered when I showed it to him. But that was only the beginning. The next morning we went to the dining room for the complimentary breakfast. I poured my coffee and sat down. A waitress started screaming at me, "Hello! Do you belong here? Are you with someone?" Screaming. Everyone was staring at me. My wife came over and sat ext to me and she shut up. I have never been treated this badly anywhere. Ever. I will not be returning.

1  Thank ClutchCargo51