“Different”

Ginger Oriental Resturant
Ranked #74 of 288 Restaurants in Grand Junction
Reviewed 18 November 2017

One dish was kind of ok and the other was quite good. Due to a limited menu, we did not find our usual items and ordered tofu with veggies and veggie fried rice. The fried rice was much better than the usual local Asian restaurant fare, but the tofu dish lacked many veggies and the tofu was not cooked through enough. Still, better than any Chinese restaurant here 5 years ago. This does not look like a typical Chinese restaurant. No red lanterns, no Buddha’s, no mass produced Chinese art. Modern and stark with a row of booths down the center, it looks like a cross between a railroad dining car and a just finished room not yet decorated. Glad not to see the stereotypical decor, but this goes too far in another direction.

This new restaurant has potential, but needs a bigger menu and it would be good to do something to break up the sterile line of booths. Good for an occasional visit, but are still looking for that really good Asian restaurant in Grand Junction. Maybe not five stars, especially where better Chinese food is available, but rated them a bit high for the fried rice and being different in a town where anything new is frowned on.

I could not rate service - average, food - a bit above average, and value -average, because the ratings would not work today on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Service was friendly and efficient. Food was fantastic. They were happy to cook standard dishes without meat, substituting tofu. Food was not too salty and was incredibly tasty.

1  Thank Where-RV-Now
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We went to this place for lunch on a Friday and were impressed. The menu is huge. We ordered the Vietnamese salad and honey chicken & both were excellent. Portions are large and everything was fresh and flavorful. GJ needed a restaurant like this!

Reviewed 14 October 2017

This place is relatively new to the area, and seems to be doing fairly well. When I finally had the chance to visit recently, I immediately felt more minimalist vibes walking in and seeing the interior and decor. I agree with a previous reviewer maybe it could use more color. The staff here that I interacted with is witty and fun. Our server was a joy, and a little bit of the clever sarcastic humor he used was all in good fun. The food! The food tasted fresh; I tried both the orange chicken as well and the kung pao chicken. The orange chicken tasted with strong orange zest-like flavor, and the kung pao chicken was slightly different than I was accustomed to which was not a bad thing. I did wish the food was a little bit more spicy as I really enjoy spicier foods and I'm used to kung pao chicken (sometimes orange chicken) being a spicier dish. I tried a little bit of the Pho and it wasn't bad. I would need to try more to really have an opinion on that specifically. Great lunch menu value and options, by the way. Go here if you're looking for fresher food in a more modern atmosphere.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

The food was very good but they need to do some decorating as the restaurant reminds me of a school cafeteria. They just need some Chinese art hung around the place and it would be perfect. The service was excellent as well.